Need Help With Fondant

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 29 Mar 2008 , 6:12pm by tonedna

aprilcake Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:03am
post #1 of 9

I do ok until the last piece of it where i have to smooth it down against the cake and I have torn it both times these past two cakes...I tried to do it slowly...but by time I get to the last part there is a whole bunch of fondant bunched up and its harder to stretch it and pull it and smooth it out...HELP!!

April icon_smile.gif)

8 replies
Melan Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 9

I have this same issue. I'll be watching for a response too...

Do you use MMF?

pinkbox Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 9

You may be rolling your fondant too thin and that is causing the tearing. I have been guilty of that a few times. Also, I have found that MMF is a little more suseptible to tearing.. in my warm hands than Michelles Fondant recipe here on CC.

When laying it over automatically push in the sides draping down against the cake... cut some of the excess but not all (you still need to have some to work with)... work from the top down.

I have found sometims that elevating my cake and draping the fondant works better. (ie using a criscoe can and setting the cake atop that and atop the turn table.) The gravity helps the fondant to sit nicely giving me a chance to cut off enough to tuck it under giving it a nicer finish.

HTH

Kim

tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 9

The fondant needs to be not to thin or thick. You really dont pull it is more of opening it while your other hand kind of gently attaches it to the cake. If you pull on it it tends to break. I always tell my students to open the pleat and slide your hand gently..Hope this helps..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

aprilcake Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 9

thank you! I think my problem might have been too thin of fondant...how thick should I make it?

aprilcake Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 9

i uploaded a pic to show you the cake I am talking about...silly me should have taken the pic of the side with the little tear...but anyways...if you can tell...by the pic...let me know if you think its too little fondant or too much or any tips at all! This is only my third cake I have covered so I am still learning all about fondant! Thanks!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1202905.html

aprilcake Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 3:50am
post #7 of 9

yay...thanks for your tips...the cake I did tonight...was tear free! woohoo! here is a link to it...   http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1203061.html

JenniferMI Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 9

Glad to hear you had sucess!!!!

tonedna Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 9

I am glad april..so glad you were able to do it!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%