Red Buttercream?

Decorating By Chrisl121070 Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 3:47pm by laborrn2

Chrisl121070 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisl121070 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:35am
post #1 of 6

I did a search, but all the posts I found were apparently lost.

Is there a "trick" to getting red buttercream? Everytime I've tried it, the color never gets "red", it's always a dark coral or pink color. I've tried the no-taste red and the christmas red (Wilton).

5 replies
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:01am
post #2 of 6

I get a great red when I colour my icing dark pink first (with an actual pink gel colour). Then, I add red after that. Depending on how much icing I am colouring, I do still have to add a pile of red. It does get red, though, especially after it sits for a day or two. My Wilton instructor told us it is easier to get a dark red from pink than it is to start from white.

rozdei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozdei Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:31am
post #3 of 6

Chrisl121070,

I have found that I have to use tons of the Wilton No Taste Red to get red. It takes more than a 1/4 of the bottle or more sometimes.

I heard about Americolor's reds on this forum so I bought "Super Red" and it takes one or two drops and gives me a great red. I just bought some other Americolor colors and I'm slowly moving towards just using Americolor to color my icing & fondant. HTH

MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:31am
post #4 of 6

im going to second rozdei, I too only use Americolor and 'super red' rocks!!! icon_biggrin.gif

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 7:42am
post #5 of 6

Yup! Americolor Super Red it is!!

laborrn2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laborrn2 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 6

Does the americolor super red leave a funky taste at all? I need to do a Spiderman cake with red BC and even using a ton of no-taste red, I either don't get the right color or it tastes nasty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%