Cracked Icing

Decorating By hollyw567 Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 1:39am by LeanneW

hollyw567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyw567 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:19am
post #1 of 3

Hi, I haven't posted but a couple of times on here, but I am looking for some advice on a cake I did yesterday. I made a chalkboard cake out of two 9*13 cake pans that I put together and decorated as one cake (you can see it in my photos). The board I used underneath was pretty thick and heavy and I even doubled the boards so the cake wouldn't "bend" when I transported it. Well, I moved it this morning onto the dining room table to get it out of the way, and the icing has cracked in several places! I have tried to smooth some of the cracking out with water and a butterknife, but it seems to a have just made it look worse! I am taking it to an elementary school I just finished student teaching at as a thank-you gift in the morning and I guess it will just have to be all cracked. Anyone know any "quick fixes" on how to smooth the cracks out? By the way, I really love this website and am so thankful for all the advice and ideas I get from here. Thanks to all the amazing decorators on here, I can only hope to be as good as all of you someday!

2 replies
steffy8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffy8 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:37am
post #2 of 3

I don't know, but it does sound that it is from the boards not thick enough. EVERY time I've used foam boards or doubled up cakeboards the icing has cracked!! I would try use a warm spatula to smooth out cracks but as soon as you transport it, it will probably crack again. The ones that I had crack I really couldn't fix...good luck

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:39am
post #3 of 3

it looks like from the photo that it is frosted with BC, is that right? If so you could possibly fill in the cracks by piping in some of the same color bc and smoothing it out. kind of like patching a whole in your wall.

If moving it caused the cracks then it's safe to say you need some more support under that cake. Good luck.

not sure if that helps your situation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%