Dummy Cakes: Pricing Example

Business By indydebi Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 2:00am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 6

Talking to a friend and the topic of dummy cakes came up. As I was telling her how buying a dummy AND sheet cakes could cost more than just getting a regular wedding cake, she made me run some numbers to prove it. So I thought I'd share what I showed her with you all, in case you wanted to use them to illustrate the point with your friends and brides.

Guest count: 150

My wedding cake rate: $3/serving

Assuming (!) I give a 20% price discount for a styrofoam cake: $3 less 20% ($0.60) = $2.40/serving.

(To keep it simple, just for illustrative purposes, I used) My non-wedding sheet cake pricing: $1.50/serving.

So.....

"Real" wedding cake for 150 guests x $3/serving = $450
Total for 'real' wedding cake: $450

"Dummy" cake for 150 guests x $2.40/serving = $360
Sheet cake for 150 guests x $1.50/serving = $225
Total for sheets and dummy cake: $585

Plus a delivery fee, if they want the sheets delivered, since my $1.50/serving rate does not cover delivery.

Plus they have to sit thru my speech on how it takes the same amount of icing to ice/decorate a dummy as it does a real cake; the same amount of time; if they want delivery, it takes the same amount of gas to get a dummy to the reception as it does to get a real cake to the reception, etc., etc.

5 replies
TexasSugar Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:11am
post #2 of 6

Debi, thank you for doing the math and sharing it. I always love seeing posts about how someone wants a dummy cake then wants to serve sheet cakes and I have always thought it is so much more work. Yes you can still do the dummies weeks in advance, and on your own time, but you still have to bake and you are still using more time than you would for just a cake.

indydebi Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:19am
post #3 of 6

In my view, it doesn't matter WHEN I do them, it's still a payroll expense for the time involved to do them.

And I don't do anything "on my own time". thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:00am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

And I don't do anything "on my own time". thumbs_up.gif

Oh I know. I mean more when it was convient for you, and not something you had to do the day before the wedding. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:28am
post #5 of 6

Ohhhhhhh! Yes, they are easier to schedule in, that's for sure! icon_biggrin.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:00am
post #6 of 6

that's great info, indydebi. it shows that when people think they're saving money they're actually not. i would rather pay for a cake that i can eat. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%