Honest Critique Please

Decorating By formerbuckeye Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 3:27pm by oliveoyle

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 19

I made this cake for my husband's retirement from the Army. It's a WASC cake with raspberry filling and french vanilla buttercream. The flag and Army logo are fondant. I got the idea from another CCer, but can't remember who it was. I was pretty please with how it turned out but I posted it in my pics and only had a couple of comments. Give me your honest critique. Thanks, Sandra
LL

18 replies
johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 19

LOOKS GREAT!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 19

A very, very nice job! Wow anyone would be pleased with such a nice design.

On a personal level, I don't perticulary care for the top border. Not sure what I would have done - probably a tip 16 or 18 shells.

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 19

Its Great!

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:05am
post #5 of 19

I have to agree w/ kakeladi, for the top border I would have done some sort of star to reflect the stars in the flag or a simple shell. But other than that it's great. I especially love how you have the flag draping over the cake.
thumbs_up.gif

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:06am
post #6 of 19

WOW, great job!
Congrats. on retirementicon_smile.gif

cakegirl68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl68 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:07am
post #7 of 19

It' looks great, don't worry about the comments!! even if they try to comment it's imposible with this site, sometimes comments don't even show up or the site is so slow.. that people gets frustraited..., but you did an amazing job!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:09am
post #8 of 19

Wow! It's awesome. I agree with the previous comments that I might have done something a little different for the top border, but even that doesn't detract from the beauty of the cake. It's amazing!

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:10am
post #9 of 19

I think you did a great job. I love the flag draped on the side and your stars and stripes are very nice. I'm sure your husband was suitably honored.

I have to make a Navy promotion cake next week and the officer wants a palm tree on it! I'm still trying to figure out how to work that one in!

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:11am
post #10 of 19

Gorgeous design; agree that the flag draped over the side looks fantastic. The border doesn't bother me, but for some reason, I want the writing on the banner to follow the banner shape more closely. That's really the only critique I can give (and it's really a nit-pick on my part).... Love the logo, the shape of the cake, the colors, and the overall graphic impact. Wonderful job! icon_smile.gif

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:13am
post #11 of 19

Great cake! You did an awesome job on the flag and the emblem.

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:13am
post #12 of 19

I really like this cake! I love how the flag drapes over the side. I think you did a wonderful job. Congrats on retirement. We have about 5 1/2 more years before my DH hits 20.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:23am
post #13 of 19

I love it!!

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:54am
post #14 of 19

good job : ) the one thing that stands out to me, though, is the flag is not draped naturally...i attached a link that shows some flag cakes by janet.

http://www.janetscakes.com/CEREMONIAL2004.html

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:01am
post #15 of 19

The cake is great...but I agree...star border.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:05am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

good job : ) the one thing that stands out to me, though, is the flag is not draped naturally...i attached a link that shows some flag cakes by janet.

http://www.janetscakes.com/CEREMONIAL2004.html

I was just thinking this same thing. I love the cake though.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:29am
post #17 of 19

It's a great cake -- and yes, I've tried to type comments, and they get "lost" as well. Congratulations!

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:22pm
post #18 of 19

Thanks to you all for your kind comments. To all of you who commented on the border...I agree. I should have used a different design. I decorated this the morning of the party about 4 hours before 45 guests were to arrive and I was concentrating more on the flag and Army logo. Daily.....it was my original intent to drape the flag, but after I airbrushed it and let it dry enough to pick it up, it started to crack! I believe what I did wrong was not rolling it thin enough. Also, I used fondant and probably should have used gumpaste. I will try another one at some point to see if I can improve it. Thanks for the link to those wonderful cakes from Janet.
Sandra

oliveoyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliveoyle Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:27pm
post #19 of 19

I agree the cake looks great
don't worry about the comment thing, every time I try to leave one lately I get an error message it makes it almost impossible to leave one maybe they will get all the bugs out soon
again great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%