Mmf Decorations On Buttercream Icing

Decorating By Grancy Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 2:44pm by Grancy

Grancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Grancy Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 7

Can you place MMF decorations on a cake that is iced with Buttercream? I am making my sister's 50th birthday cake and have some MMF presents decorations to put on the side of a 12" square cake iced with Buttercream. Is this OK? Will the fondant get soggy and fall? Thanks, Grancy

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 7

Yes they can. I have done fondant on buttercream many times.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:35am
post #3 of 7

Yes, it works well. One note: if you have heavy fondant decorations for the sides, it helps if you have a little firmer butter-cream (or a cooler room) in warmer weather. It's a great accent -- I do lots of MMF and BC combinations.

yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:04am
post #4 of 7

I would wait until the last minute to attach the decorations. In the fall, I made a bc cake and then covered the sides with mmf leaves and berries (the leaves were not totally flat on the cake, I wanted their edges to look a little rolled and realistic). Well anyways, I covered the cake with saran and left it on the counter the night before delivery, and when I uncovered it in the morning, the leaves were droopy and had become flat. Two lessons I learned...I should have not covered it in saran wrap and then the mmf and bc would have probably hardened a bit more, and just to be safe, attach decorations right before delivery.

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:32am
post #5 of 7

I was worried that fondant would soak up grease from the buttercream, but I used MMF on buttercream for the new baby cake in my gallery. I put it on about 24 hours before delivery and had no problems at all.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:59am
post #6 of 7

I've made traditional fondant before and it will soak up grease and get soggy, but I've used MMF and buttercream together and haven't had that problem.

Grancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Grancy Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 7

icon_smile.gif Thanks for all the info. I will be transporting the cake Friday eveinig for the party Sat. night. I will put the decorations on Friday and Sat. I really do appreciate all the response. I'll post a picture afterwards.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%