Mmf Decorations On Buttercream Icing

Decorating By Grancy Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 2:44pm by Grancy

Grancy Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 7

Can you place MMF decorations on a cake that is iced with Buttercream? I am making my sister's 50th birthday cake and have some MMF presents decorations to put on the side of a 12" square cake iced with Buttercream. Is this OK? Will the fondant get soggy and fall? Thanks, Grancy

6 replies
TexasSugar Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 7

Yes they can. I have done fondant on buttercream many times.

Petit-four Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:35am
post #3 of 7

Yes, it works well. One note: if you have heavy fondant decorations for the sides, it helps if you have a little firmer butter-cream (or a cooler room) in warmer weather. It's a great accent -- I do lots of MMF and BC combinations.

yeastconfection Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:04am
post #4 of 7

I would wait until the last minute to attach the decorations. In the fall, I made a bc cake and then covered the sides with mmf leaves and berries (the leaves were not totally flat on the cake, I wanted their edges to look a little rolled and realistic). Well anyways, I covered the cake with saran and left it on the counter the night before delivery, and when I uncovered it in the morning, the leaves were droopy and had become flat. Two lessons I learned...I should have not covered it in saran wrap and then the mmf and bc would have probably hardened a bit more, and just to be safe, attach decorations right before delivery.

Hawkette Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:32am
post #5 of 7

I was worried that fondant would soak up grease from the buttercream, but I used MMF on buttercream for the new baby cake in my gallery. I put it on about 24 hours before delivery and had no problems at all.

Texas_Rose Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:59am
post #6 of 7

I've made traditional fondant before and it will soak up grease and get soggy, but I've used MMF and buttercream together and haven't had that problem.

Grancy Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 7

icon_smile.gif Thanks for all the info. I will be transporting the cake Friday eveinig for the party Sat. night. I will put the decorations on Friday and Sat. I really do appreciate all the response. I'll post a picture afterwards.

Quote by @%username% on %date%