My Mmf Is Hard After A Day...

Baking By Starkie Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 8:30pm by tirby

Starkie Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 6

I love MMF ~ it's easy and tastes good. The only problem is, the day after making it an putting it on a cake, it gets quite hard. Still tastes good, but people peel it off because it's hard. I made this artsy cake yesterday, colored it with piping gel, and today, the entire cake (even the sides) were very hard ~ like knock on wood hard!

Does Michelle Foster's fondant or rolled buttercream do this? I haven't tried either, but I will make the change if I can find a fondant that will stay soft on the cake. Any suggestions?

5 replies
Starkie Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:57am
post #2 of 6

Aww, come on! Somebody has to have an opinion on this!

Shamitha Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 6

I throw in a teaspoon of glycerine into my bowl of marshmellows before melting them. No more hard MMF icon_smile.gif

tippyad Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 6

My rolled buttercream does not get hard. And I prefer the taste so much more than MMF. The only time I use MMF is for small decorations that will be removed before it's eaten.

larepostera Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 6

You can heat it in the microwave for 10 - 20 seconds and it will get back its consistensy. I never knead anymore...

Hope this helps!

tirby Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 6

I used Michelle Fosters for the first time this week and I LOVE IT! It is not hard at all. And I know what you mean...Not hard to roll out but hard after the decorating is done and people go to eat the cake right? I had posted this same question... I have not tried the glycering in the MMF. But Michelle has it in hers too. Try the Glycering in the MMF and let me know. also rolled BC doesnt get hard .

Quote by @%username% on %date%