sugartopped Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 7:54pm
post #1 of

I baked a cake last night for my final wilton III class...so it will be a wedding cake. I guess I didn't use enough cake release on the pan and while I was trying to get the cake out it cracked in several places and part of the bottom stuck to the pan (luckliy it was one large piece).

I was able to scrape out the bottom and put back on the cake. I wrapped it in saran wrap and the bottom still has few holes but I should be able to fix that w/filling.

My concern is there are several large cracks thoughout the cake. Starting at the edge and moving towards the center. None of them reach the center....but I was wondering if the cake will be stable enough to still use as a stacked cake?

My teacher gave us a guideline for doing the stacked cake.......but guess she can't forsee all problems we would have!! icon_confused.gif Unfortunately, she is at her other job tonite so I can't get ahold of her.

The cake will be a 2 layer 10" round w/a 2 layer 6" round sitting on top of that. Both will have filling and will be covered in fondant. Should I just rebake another layer or should this cake work?? I would hate to get my cake done and the thing fall in on me!!

Thanks in advance for any help.
Christine

9 replies
Sugar Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 8:00pm
post #2 of

I wouldn't risk it. But I'm paranoid. If it had one crack I would, but a whole bunch I would be afraid.

This might help you icon_biggrin.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-5415-cake.html+balls

luv2cake Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 8:31pm
post #3 of

I wouldn't risk it either. I would go ahead and bake another layer.

And hey, gives you a good reason to make cake balls just as Sugar suggested. I made them for the first time 2 weeks ago, and I still can't get over how delicious they are!!!

peg818 Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 8:31pm
post #4 of

I would rebake the layer. If you weren't adding fondant it might be okay, but with the added wieght of the fondant, i would be afraid it would fall apart.

ntertayneme Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 8:33pm
post #5 of

I've had a couple crack on me like yours and I had to cover cracks up when I got to the reception area to set the cake up .. it's just not worth the headache nor the stress... I'd rebake a new layer if it were me.

sugartopped Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 10:04pm
post #6 of

Thanks, thought I was going to be ahead of schedule. Oh well!! Next time will make sure I use enough cake release!!

But I'll def. being making a lot of cake balls!!! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks again!

tcturtleshell Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 5:22am
post #7 of

Take it from me it won't work. You need a stabalized cake & when they crack like 4 of mine did last week I had to start all over. It liked to have killed me to do that!! Next cake you'll be ahead of time so don't worry to much~ icon_smile.gif

SheilaF Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 6:39am
post #8 of

That cake ball recipe sounds great! I usually let my kids attack all the cake tops, but maybe I'll have to try that recipe with some. Thanks!

peg818 Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 9:09am
post #9 of

to help get your cake out of the pan, line the bottom of the pan with parchment or wax paper. I never have one stick when using this method. I just peal the paper off the cake before icing.

loree001 Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 9:58am

I'm glad everyone suggested not using the cake. My friend had a cake crack once, and we both decided it would be fine to use. (It was a wedding cake). The cake caved in (even with lots of dowel rods) on the way to the reception, and there wasn't a save for it...a totally ruined wedding cake with no time to make another...It was a hard lesson learned! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%