Bc Cracking When In Transport. Any Advice???

Decorating By ahmommy Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 10:19pm by Cakepro

ahmommy Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 12

My cakes (especially sheets) always look great before I move them. But the minute I pick them up they get little "fault lines" where the crusted BC cracks. I remember reading on here that you can put a little vinegar in the icing and it will prevent this, but I don't know what kind of vinegar and how much. Does anyone know?? And does it change the taste at all??

11 replies
Cakepro Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 12

I used to have that problem until I started using masonite cake boards. It's the flexing of your cake board that causes the cracks.

I've never tried adding vinegar but others report that it works.

Sherri

tatetart Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 12

What kind of board are you using for your sheet cakes?

If the board isn't strong enough, it will give when picked up and hence the little cracked lines.

I used double or triple cake boards depending on the size and weight of the cake.

grannys3angels Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 12

I have read that also about the vinegar, but I have never try it so I can't really help there. I have also that read that having a good stong cake board will help with this problem also. You take 2 -3 paper cake boards put them together to make a stronger cake board.
Hope this helps some.

God Bless,
Sharon

thecupcakemom Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 12

Cakepro: Where do you get your masonite boards?

iamlis Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 12

Its the cake board, I would start there then modify your icing if need be. The thicker the boards the less likely this will happen, there is too much flex on a single layer of cakeboard.

bostonterrierlady Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 12

I got my masonite boards from countrykitchensa.com

bostonterrierlady Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 12

I got my masonite boards from countrykitchensa.com

indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by couturiere

What kind of board are you using for your sheet cakes?

If the board isn't strong enough, it will give when picked up and hence the little cracked lines.

I used double or triple cake boards depending on the size and weight of the cake.

Me, too.

ahmommy Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:32pm
post #10 of 12

I do put at least 2 cake boards together, but maybe I should just use more (or the masonite ones). Those seem like they are probably expensive. Thank you for the advice!!!

plbennett_8 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:52pm
post #11 of 12

I use foam core that you can get from any craft store and cut to size...

Cakepro Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:19pm
post #12 of 12

You can buy sheets of masonite at Home Depot for pretty cheap. Then just cut it with a jigsaw or a router. A quick sanding of the edges and you've got a very, very sturdy board for relatively little money.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%