I Need Help From A Design Genius - Spring Wedding!!!

Decorating By Carson Updated 4 May 2008 , 2:24am by Carson

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 23

I am trying to come up with a cake design for a spring wedding...here is what I have from the bride...

3 tiered stacked cake...white based (cake covered in white fondant), edible pastel flowers in bridesmaid colors (navy blue, pale pink, lavender, sunny yellow, mint green).

I am to use my imagination and be creative...she says she is not too picky, the above is all she cares about...

So now I need some ideas from you smart CCers...what to do?

Thanks

22 replies
Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 23

My first thought was to have the different colors (navy, pink, lavendar, mint green & yellow) as thin and medium fondant ribbons around the base of each tier. Then you can have the same colors as flowers in 2-3 small clusters along the base of each tier. Is there a topper for this cake? You can use the flowers or a fondant ribbon bow with the same colors as around the tiers.

Or, if you are really talented (I am not!) you could have one plaid ribbon with all the colors in it!

Good luck!
<S>

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 23

there is a nice cake Wilton put out yrs ago. It's tiered but.....icon_smile.gif
It uses mukti colored drop flowers in small groupings around the cake....I'll see if I can dig up the pic but I don't have a scanner....maybe if I post the book/pg someone else who does have a scanner can post it.

O.k. I haven't found the exact one I was thinking of but here are some other ideas for you to check out:
"Wilton shows you how to create dramatic Tier Cakes" pgs: 10; 33; 38. None of them are in multi-colors but it's simple to change thaticon_smile.gif
"Wilton Bridal Cakes" The cover cake uses roses in pink,lav & yellow;
pg 5 has another idea in dropflowers - again, just use different colors.
"The Wilton School Decorating Cakes" pg 62. This is not a wedding cake but I think it would make a great one - even if only as the center of 3 tiers. Again just change the colors into multi and it would be really nice.
"Wilton tiered cakes - a showcase..." pg 4; 6; 22;

All of these are suggestions to help spark an idea for you to adapt.

Carson Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 23

Thanks for all the ideas.

Kakeladi - thanks for the research, I don't have all those books but I will see what I can look up online.

Starkie - I was thinking maybe a ribbon made up of squares of different colors, I like your idea of the thin striped tiers.

Keep them coming!!!

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:35am
post #5 of 23

I don't know how early in spring the wedding is, but you might want to make the flowers specific to the season -- say navy and lavender violets, pink tulips, and yellow daffodils? That might give a more traditional bouquet look. A more modern, tailored look might be daisies in all white, with centers of the various colors around green or multi colored ribbon, as suggested above. Sounds like a fun project!

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 23

here are a few ideas...

http://www.velvetrabbitstudios.com/blog/uploaded_images/spring_cakes-779572.jpg

http://www.marthastewart.com/photo-gallery/unique-wedding-cakes?lnc=8b99cf380e1dd010VgnVCM1000005b09a00aRCRD&rsc=lpg_weddings¤tslide=11¤tChapter=1&chapterCounter=12&lpgStart=1&adnumber=1#lpg

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1637

Carson

Quote:
Quote:

Starkie - I was thinking maybe a ribbon made up of squares of different colors, I like your idea of the thin striped tiers.

I also like this idea... kind of like the cake the winning guy (James Rosselle) did for the Sweet 16 birthday challenge on the food network. Trying to find the pic!
http://itsarosselle.com/ It looked better on TV!

Carson Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:39am
post #7 of 23

So what do you guys think of this design? The bride wants a elegant and fun cake with a little bit of tradition...does this do it? I need to include all the colors as listed above - is there anything you would change? I haven't sent this yet so I am open to any suggestions...
LL

Petit-four Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:06pm
post #8 of 23

That's a lovely design! My only suggestion would be to make the ribbon the "dominant" color at the wedding. Mint green or yellow might be associated more with a "spring" palette, although navy-and-white is a classic spring look too (reminds me of a nautical look or patent leather spectator pumps, a nice vintage look). I guess I'd ask her what was the style of her dresses.

Great work on drawing this all together.

Carson Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:11pm
post #9 of 23

I did the ribbon in navy because I wasn't sure what flower would look good in navy - and my flower making skills are limited. Her bridesmaid are each wearing one of those colors - so I'm not sure that there is a dominant color. I could make the ribbon multicolored as suggested above - but she also wants flowers and scrolls so I thought I better keep the ribbon simple.

Petit-four Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:31am
post #10 of 23

It really sounds like the perfect design! Enjoy the fun project....happy decorating and happy spring!

Carson Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:47am
post #11 of 23

Well thank you - I guess we'll see what the bride thinks of it. I'm still open to suggestions since I have the freedom to change the design as I go to make sure it looks right. Its nice to have someone trust you to make it look right!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:46am
post #12 of 23

I'm not a fan of the bride's color palette, but I like the design you came up with. What program did you use to create that?

Carson Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:54am
post #13 of 23

I was having a heck of a time working the Navy in with all of those pastels!!!! I am still worried about how it is going to come out in cake.

I did it in Microsoft Publisher - I got the basic cake from the templates section of the gallery here on CC - I believe made by Doug! I then just added designs and colors using the shapes and clipart.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:48am
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson

Thanks for all the ideas.

Kakeladi - thanks for the research, I don't have all those books but I will see what I can look up online.

Keep them coming!!!

Hi,

I was thinking if you would like to see these books you might want to check your local library. You could always check their website first to see if they have a particular book your looking for, or you could just go there and browse!

P.S. I like your design!

Amia Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:34pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson

I was having a heck of a time working the Navy in with all of those pastels!!!! I am still worried about how it is going to come out in cake.

I did it in Microsoft Publisher - I got the basic cake from the templates section of the gallery here on CC - I believe made by Doug! I then just added designs and colors using the shapes and clipart.

I just thought of something! Maybe you could make the ribbon lavender and then make the scrolls and bead border in the navy. I, personally, like navy and lavender together, and this helps minimize the navy, which just doesn't really match the rest of the colors. The flowers would stay yellow and pink with green leaves. Just an idea icon_smile.gif

And thanks for telling me HOW you did it in MS Publisher. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I was using mine last night and couldn't figure out how you geniuses were doing it. DUH, I need to upload a template in there icon_redface.gif

Carson Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:43pm
post #16 of 23

The templates are handy for sure - but you could make your own by using the AutoShapes and just sizing them how you like - using a template from here is just WAY quicker - someone has already done that work for us - thanks!!!!

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:59pm
post #17 of 23

Hey Carson, i have been searching CC for the regular templates/sketches that Doug and others have provided for us but I am unable to locate them now. Am I looking in the wrong place?? HELP PLEASE

TIA

Amia Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:04am
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by msthang1224

Hey Carson, i have been searching CC for the regular templates/sketches that Doug and others have provided for us but I am unable to locate them now. Am I looking in the wrong place?? HELP PLEASE

TIA

Here they are:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&aid=121

HTH thumbs_up.gif

Carson Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:20am
post #19 of 23

If you go to the gallery and click on the templates icon (the same as you would to choose birthday cakes or round wedding cakes).

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:46am
post #20 of 23

THANKS A BUNCH amia1024 & Carson, you guys are the best. I feel so DUHHHHHH right now that I couldn't find them, LOL. I appreciate you guys so uch, always so helpful!! YEPPIE, now I can make my sister's gumpaste shoe for her b-day cake, THANKS AGAIN!

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:13pm
post #21 of 23

This is a dummy cake I did this weekend, maybe it will give some ideas.
LL

Carson Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 2:51am
post #22 of 23

The good news is that the bride FINALLY got back to me and loves the design - she is really easy to please, seems like a dream bride!

Thanks to all for your help! I am now excited about doing this cake - I can't wait to get working on it!

Carson Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:24am
post #23 of 23

So I delivered the cake today and the MOB told me it is perfect for her daughter (I did not actually see the bride). I was so happy that it all turned out and it even matched the hall perfectly, I couldn't of matched the colors any better. I don't know why we stress so much, it works out so nicely in the end. I am including a final pic of the cake.

mmgiles, I really like your cake, I think that would of worked really well too!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%