Black Buttercream

Decorating By uschi1 Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 4:49pm by uschi1

uschi1 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 8

Okay - I know this is not a new question, but I can't seem to get this right.
I started out with chocolate buttercream and added Wilton black food colour, and all I got was grey buttercream. That was yesterday, and the colour has not intensified any.\\
How much food colour do I have to add to get a nice black? icon_cry.gif

7 replies
canoewoman Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 8

I use store bought chocolate frosting because you have to start with a very dark chocolate to get the black. If your choc buttercream wasn't a really dark brown you will have to add lots of black paste color to get it to go really dark or as in your case it will only turn a grey colour.

leah_s Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 8

I use the powdered color, but seriously, depending on how much icing you're coloring, it can still take an entire bottle.

MillyCakes Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 8

The only way I have ever gotten a really nice dark black was to use americolor super black and make it a week in advance. The longer it sits, the darker it gets. The same goes with really red icing. Other than that - dark grey is about as good as I can get on short notice.

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 8

Always start with a chocolate buttercream for red or black- if you're making it yourself, add some melted dark chocolate. I use the Americolors as they work best I find.

felecia Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 8

i always use Wilton chocolate butter crm and add black to it. i always let my client know that the black is all chocolate. some folks look at black and think BITTER.

bashini Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 8

Hi there, I always use SUGARFLAIR PASTE COLOUR- EXTRAS. I also had this problem until I found this. It's a paste and you don't have use a lot to get a jet black colour. I don't know whether you can get in the US.

uschi1 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks to all. I will order some Americolor from Golda's Kitchen and try again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%