Black Buttercream

Decorating By uschi1 Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 4:49pm by uschi1

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 8

Okay - I know this is not a new question, but I can't seem to get this right.
I started out with chocolate buttercream and added Wilton black food colour, and all I got was grey buttercream. That was yesterday, and the colour has not intensified any.\\
How much food colour do I have to add to get a nice black? icon_cry.gif

7 replies
canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 8

I use store bought chocolate frosting because you have to start with a very dark chocolate to get the black. If your choc buttercream wasn't a really dark brown you will have to add lots of black paste color to get it to go really dark or as in your case it will only turn a grey colour.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 8

I use the powdered color, but seriously, depending on how much icing you're coloring, it can still take an entire bottle.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 8

The only way I have ever gotten a really nice dark black was to use americolor super black and make it a week in advance. The longer it sits, the darker it gets. The same goes with really red icing. Other than that - dark grey is about as good as I can get on short notice.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 8

Always start with a chocolate buttercream for red or black- if you're making it yourself, add some melted dark chocolate. I use the Americolors as they work best I find.

felecia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
felecia Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 8

i always use Wilton chocolate butter crm and add black to it. i always let my client know that the black is all chocolate. some folks look at black and think BITTER.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 8

Hi there, I always use SUGARFLAIR PASTE COLOUR- EXTRAS. I also had this problem until I found this. It's a paste and you don't have use a lot to get a jet black colour. I don't know whether you can get in the US.

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks to all. I will order some Americolor from Golda's Kitchen and try again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%