Why Did It Sink!? Twice!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 8:50pm by step0nmi

step0nmi Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 4

I am posting this in the disaster forum because...here I go again! I am on my 3rd cake in two days! I JUST wanted to bring in something a little simple to my family! I tried to make the fresh orange cake recipe from the Cake Mix Dr. Book...but for SOME reason BOTH cakes sunk significantly and they didn't seem to bake all the way through. I baked a WASC cake in the middle of doing this and THOSE baked fine! here is the recipe...

1 package plain yellow mix
1 cup fresh orange juice OR from the carton
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
1t vanilla
4 eggs

I used carton orange juice, or I guess its a gallon from like some generic brand that also sells milk, and I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED! I think the cake tasted yummy but I really wanted to make an orange cake. Can anyone help??
(p.s. I am making a lemon cake right now and it's baking fine!)

Thank you!

3 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 4

Well, I can't say for sure, but when I look at the recipe, it looks like a lot of sugar (given the natural sugars in OJ) and a lot of oil/liquid. That combo usually leads to a sunken cake.

If the OJ was from concentrate (many jug/carton OJs are), I'd think that it might have a higher sugar content than fresh OJ (which I'd think would be more water).

I think I'd adapt the recipe to use only fresh OJ, or OJ not from concentrate, and only a scant 1/3 c. of oil. I'd also cut back on the sugar to an 1/8th cup. I really think this would help it to bake better.

Also, what mix are you using? If it's DH, then it has no pudding (and probably less sugars), but if it's Pillsbury or BC, those have pudding in them and that may also affect the results.

If you try it, please let us know how it works.

ladyonzlake Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 4

I have that book so I'm looking at the recipe. It does say OJ from a carton is okay but did you use a cake mix with pudding in it? If you didn't that could be the problem. If you have a reg. cake mix, I would think that you could add a pkg of pudding to it.

step0nmi Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 4

oh wow! Thanks for the great tips! I had no idea the sugars in the oj AND the pudding would effect it! Yes, I use pillsbury which has pudding already added in! I really like that recipe and I thought that there was something wrong with it based off of what "I" did!
Thanks soo much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%