Candy, Sugarpaste Or Gumpaste Flowers Prices

Decorating By todolomio Updated 7 Apr 2008 , 1:18pm by todolomio

todolomio Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 7

I'm a newbie in this cake business. However for years I made what is known has cold porcelain flowers. Now I moved to PA and a friend of a friend has a bakery. He is interested in buying my flowers by the dozen. but How much am I supposed to charge? anyone here do this? I could appreciate some light in this direction.

Thanks,

Oh, Happy Easter to everyone!

6 replies
KHalstead Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 7

cold porcelain is not edible right???? For gumpaste flowers I charge 1.50 for lg. 1.00 for med and 50-.75 for small (like violets, daisies, etc.) and I charge .50 per strand of baby's breath that has 6 little blooms on it. I live in a small town in Northeastern Ohio though.....it will vary depending on where you live.

todolomio Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

cold porcelain is not edible right???? For gumpaste flowers I charge 1.50 for lg. 1.00 for med and 50-.75 for small (like violets, daisies, etc.) and I charge .50 per strand of baby's breath that has 6 little blooms on it. I live in a small town in Northeastern Ohio though.....it will vary depending on where you live.

No, cold porcelain is not edible. The recipe has white elmer's glue in it!!! but, it is used for many other purposes. I used to make wedding favors and for children and bride head pieces.

Thanks for the information. I had given up on someone to answer my questions. Thanks!

FromScratch Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 7

Goodness.. 50 cents??? They take work.. even if they are small. I charge $10 and up for large flowers. They take time and expertise and you shouldn't charge less than a florist would charge for the real thing. They require you to make the centers.. roll out the paste.. cut out the petals.. wire them.. hand mold them.. dry them.. work them while drying.. color them.. set the color.. it's a LOT of work. Even smaller flowers take 20 minutes if you count the coloring and putting them together.

I want to be compensated for that time. Don't sell them for pennies. Your cold porcelain shouldn't come in contact with the cake since it's not food safe. If you like working with the cold porcelain you would do more than great with gumpaste. Make your own though.. the pre-mixed stuff pales in comparison to a good homemade GP. I use Nicholas Lodge's recipe made with Tylose.. it's AMAZING stuff.

http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

JenniferMI Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 7

You really need to know the price of the real thing and go from there. Yes, don't give these babies away! They are very time consuming!!!
People think callas are SO easy, therefore, they should be cheap. Just the opposite, a real one costs anywhere from 8-10.00 generally. I charge 6.00 and tell them it is a bargain in sugar. LOVE making them, they take me about 1 minute! But, that doesn't mean you should give them away.

Know your prices and how long it will take you to make one.

HTH!

Cakepro Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 5:30am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Make your own though.. the pre-mixed stuff pales in comparison to a good homemade GP. I use Nicholas Lodge's recipe made with Tylose.. it's AMAZING stuff.

Amen, sistah! I LOVE tylose GP!

KHalstead, how on earth can you sell your handmade flowers for mere pennies?? icon_eek.gif I would cry if I sold something that took me half an hour to make for 50 cents.

todolomio Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Goodness.. 50 cents??? They take work.. even if they are small. I charge $10 and up for large flowers. They take time and expertise and you shouldn't charge less than a florist would charge for the real thing. They require you to make the centers.. roll out the paste.. cut out the petals.. wire them.. hand mold them.. dry them.. work them while drying.. color them.. set the color.. it's a LOT of work. Even smaller flowers take 20 minutes if you count the coloring and putting them together.

I want to be compensated for that time. Don't sell them for pennies. Your cold porcelain shouldn't come in contact with the cake since it's not food safe. If you like working with the cold porcelain you would do more than great with gumpaste. Make your own though.. the pre-mixed stuff pales in comparison to a good homemade GP. I use Nicholas Lodge's recipe made with Tylose.. it's AMAZING stuff.

http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

Thanks for the info. But what happens if you don't have a kitchen aid? I have a sunbeam but no flat paddles there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%