Martha Stewart Cookie Tiered 'cakes'

Baking By getfrosted Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 6:59am by JudyDP

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 25

Has anyone made these? I have an order for 100 and I am wondering about spreading cookies ... if they spread they will not be the same size.

Is it possible that as soon as they come out of the oven to re-cut the cookies or will that mess up the edges?

Thanks!
LL

24 replies
CINDY1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CINDY1956 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 25

I use the NFSC and have never had a problem with them losing thier shape... I can stack all my cookies and they are all the same size...

IrishCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IrishCookie Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 25

I would not trim the sides after they come out of the oven. I have tried it and really messed up the sides, so I couldn't use them.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 25

I agree with both the above posters. I have made them, there is a pic in my pictures. I made them too thick and wasn't able to use all 3 of the largest 2 sizes, like in the picture and still fit them in the box. Just chill your cutouts (I put mine in the freezer for 10-15 mins) before baking and they shouldn't spread.

getfrosted Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 25

Thanks everyone! I haven't used the NFSC recipe because I was happy with the one I have, but they do spread a little. I do freeze them before baking. I'll try them out this week.

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 25

those cookies look soo cute. im gonna try them one day

CINDY1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CINDY1956 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:51am
post #7 of 25

Can I ask where are you buying these boxes at? I would like some...

getfrosted Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:55am
post #8 of 25

I found them in Canada (where I am) from www.creativebag.com.

rozdei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozdei Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:21am
post #9 of 25

I agree, the NFSC recipe is great. It does not spread when baking.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2055-No-Fail-Sugar-Cookies.html

IrishCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IrishCookie Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:26am
post #10 of 25

You also find them at http://www.bagsandbowsonline.com/ They carry alot of different items. They are based out of Atlanta, Georgia.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:47am
post #11 of 25

Those are really pretty! Are they eaten instead of cake or given as favors?

Yours are lovely, golfgirl1227. I love the graduated icing color.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 9:14am
post #12 of 25

That's a lot of cookies. What does someone charge for something like that - not including the box.

Thanks -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:17am
post #13 of 25

I'd like to know about pricing as well. Those are too cute!

getfrosted Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:06pm
post #14 of 25

I'm charging $12 each plus the boxes.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:15pm
post #15 of 25

Oh, good.
My first thought was that you need to charge for those, not pay for making them!
Too many do that.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:24pm
post #16 of 25

just wanted to say you CAN cut the cookies when they come out of the oven I do it all the time!!!! My cookies don't spread that much at all but I still want the edges exact with my fondant so I recut them when they come out.....here's some photos of ones I recut upon coming out...and as you can see the edges are fine. You will get some small crumbs though...all I do is run a pastry brush around the edges before packaging them so I don't get crumbs in the bag HTH
LL
LL
LL

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 11:15pm
post #17 of 25

I found the boxes that I used at www.papermart.com they are 4x4x4.

I would charge at least $10, nothing under. I would prefer to charge like $150, lol. They took up a lot of my time.

kayla1505 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:50am
post #18 of 25

KHalstead ur cookies are BEAUTIFUL! how did you make the leaves all differant shades?

KHalstead Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 5:02pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla1505

KHalstead ur cookies are BEAUTIFUL! how did you make the leaves all differant shades?

I covered them in white mmf and then painted the fondant with americolor gels and kinda blended yellow, orange, and maroon together to create the look

kayla1505 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:53pm
post #20 of 25

wow they look soo nice.i wish i had the guts to try that but im afarid it would be a horrible mess. icon_wink.gif lol

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:40pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

just wanted to say you CAN cut the cookies when they come out of the oven I do it all the time!!!!

KHalstead, do you simply recut with your cookie cutter? Your cookies look so clean! I want to try it next time. Even though I use NFSC I get a bit of spreading.

Thank you everyone for your great ideas!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 5:23pm
post #22 of 25

that's a lovely idea of tiered cookies. i might wanna try that tomorrow. i just discovered NFSC and I amde them and they are so yummy! I ate like 5 pieces LOL

KHalstead Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:46pm
post #23 of 25

[/quote]

KHalstead, do you simply recut with your cookie cutter? Your cookies look so clean! I want to try it next time. Even though I use NFSC I get a bit of spreading.

Thank you everyone for your great ideas!![/quote]

yep, just recut immediately upon coming out of the oven with the same cutter....even though they don't spread that much I don't want any edges of the cookies sticking out under the fondant and that business of making two different sizes of cutters for every cookie got old fast lol. I cut them again, move the excess pieces aside (while the cookies are still soft and too fragile to move from the cookie sheet) and lay the fondant on top and WALK AWAY!! when I come back 5-10 min. later they have firmed up enough to move them to a cooling rack and I let them sit...when they are completely cooled and the mmf has firmed up again so it doesn't leave finger dents...I pick the cookies up and take a paint brush (or pastry brush) and brush the edges removing any excess little crumbs and they're fine...they don't fall apart or anything and you get a nice clean edge to the cookies.

lolabunny7178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolabunny7178 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 4:46am
post #24 of 25

which icing do you use for the tiered cookies? I can't wait to try them, they are so cute.

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:59am
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Thank you everyone for your great ideas!![/quote]

yep, just recut immediately upon coming out of the oven with the same cutter....even though they don't spread that much I don't want any edges of the cookies sticking out under the fondant and that business of making two different sizes of cutters for every cookie got old fast lol. I cut them again, move the excess pieces aside (while the cookies are still soft and too fragile to move from the cookie sheet) and lay the fondant on top and WALK AWAY!! when I come back 5-10 min. later they have firmed up enough to move them to a cooling rack and I let them sit...when they are completely cooled and the mmf has firmed up again so it doesn't leave finger dents...I pick the cookies up and take a paint brush (or pastry brush) and brush the edges removing any excess little crumbs and they're fine...they don't fall apart or anything and you get a nice clean edge to the cookies.[/quote]

KHalstead...may I ask if you have all of your fondant already cut to go on the cookies, or do you cut the fondant immediately before laying it on the cookies. Seems like a silly question, but I am going to be doing 40+ large cookies, and wondering the most effecient way to do them. I, also, have been recutting my cookies, but doing it while they are in the oven with a couple of minutes to go before they are done. Do you think that it would be OK to cook and freeze cookies, then defrost and decorate with fondant at least a couple of days before needed. Trying to figure out the best way to do it and still have them fresh, since I am going to be making a cake, too. icon_confused.gif Thanks for any input! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%