Recipe For Dragees?

Baking By marjiw Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm by nesweetcake

marjiw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marjiw Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 3:10am
post #1 of 16

Is there a recipe for making dragees? I can't find them here and remember eating them when I was little and loved them. Just thought someone might know how to make them.

15 replies
lindy01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindy01 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 4:37am
post #2 of 16

i think you can only buy them

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 4:58am
post #3 of 16

I think that Jacque Torre has some kind of KA adaptor for making them.

Don't rightly know, you will have to check out his site.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 16

Most states have now banned the sale of them because the coating is a heavy metalicon_sad.gif
You can make similar by rolling tiny bits of fondant into a ball, then dropping them into a small jar of silver highliter dust. A big painicon_sad.gif

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 16

So far only California has banned them. I'll check it out and get back.

marjiw Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:19am
post #6 of 16

I wondered why you could not find them anywhere. I used to eat them all the time as a kid. Oh well....

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:35am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjiw

I wondered why you could not find them anywhere. I used to eat them all the time as a kid. Oh well....

Hey Marjiw...........I see you live in Texas. I live in SE Texas and our HEB grocery stores stock them in 3 different colors; Gold, Silver and mixed Pastels. icon_smile.gif

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:37am
post #8 of 16

You can made tiny fondant pearls. Make a bunch leave them uncolored, when ready to color put in a ziplock back with some luster dust = shake = now you have fondant pearls. I make them as I watch tv and just store until needed.

from Earlene Moore:

http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm

marjiw Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:48am
post #9 of 16

Hey Lea,

I shop at HEB all the time and have not seen them. I wonder why we don't have them?

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:15am
post #10 of 16

Hmmmm, interesting. HEB is notorious for putting items where they seemingly do not belong. You could ask the grocery manager where they stock them and if they do not have them in stock as him/her to order them for you. If our HEB's can stock them they all should be able to stock them. thumbs_up.gif

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:41am
post #11 of 16

Our HEB has about a dozen different kinds and sizes. They're on the baking aisle.

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:42am
post #12 of 16

I found them on the cake mix aisle down by the spices in one store and past the small decorative icing/cupcake papers, in another store. I'm in the Waco, Texas area.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:10pm
post #13 of 16

In Texas, HEB supermarkets carry "India Tree" products and they have different colors of dragees. They are kind of pricey... Do you have a cake supply shop in your area. I know in Houston, I have found them at different cake supply shops.

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:46pm
post #14 of 16

I have bought gold ones off Ebay--there are several sellers, just compare prices. I was buying from C & C Candies but they haven't listed any in a while--glad I stocked up.

marjiw Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:51pm
post #15 of 16

Well I guess I will have to do some better looking or ask the next time I am at HEB! Thanks so much for all the replies!!! icon_biggrin.gif

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm
post #16 of 16

I by from fancy Flours online. They have several. Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%