Please Help - Is Refridgeration Needed?

Decorating By trumpetmidget Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 12:50am by JanH

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 2:34am
post #1 of 7

I made cupcakes tonight with my 3 year old daughter (very cute). They are yellow cake with strawberry ganauch(sp?) filling inside and strawberry flavered buttercream. The ganauch is made with chocolate chips, frozen strawberries that were thawed and pureed, butter and powdered sugar. I did not know if they needed to be refridgerated because of the strawberries. Do they?
Thanks.

6 replies
deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 3:42am
post #2 of 7

I am not really sure....but to be on the safe side, I would.......well, strawberries can sit out for a period of time..........better to be safe though.........

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 3:58am
post #3 of 7

strawberries are very acidic and will break down when exposed to warmth over a period of time. I usually try to use the rule of thumb that if it is produce involved or dairy fridge it. It is better to be safe than sorry. I would hate to see all that work you put in with your daughter go to waste.
Good luck! Sounds yummy

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 7

Yes, you will need to keep them in the fridge. Cooked fruit falls into the 2 hour rule - you cannot keep them between 40 degrees and 140 degrees safely for more than 2 hours - longer will promote bacterial growth and possible food bourne illness.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:17am
post #5 of 7

Okay, experts, here's another "fridge or no-fridge" question. I made some Coconut Ice for the first time today. (A no-cook candy recipe.) It has one can of sweetened condensed milk, over 4 cups of dessicated coconut, over 3 cups of powdered sugar, and a little vanilla. The shapes I molded dried out and sort of hardened, although they have a fondant-like texture when eaten.

Can I store these in Ziplocks on my counter, or do they need the fridge? I'm thinking that buttercream and fondant don't need the fridge, and this seems similar, but not sure. Anybody know?

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:44am
post #6 of 7

If there is condensed milk (which needs refrigeration after opening) then yes....I definitely would!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:50am
post #7 of 7

If your recipe is the same as the one below, no refrigeration is required:

http://www.recipezaar.com/122880

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%