What Is Half And Half?

Baking By SOULLA13 Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 12:20pm by SOULLA13

SOULLA13 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 12:53am
post #1 of 5

hiya everyone,

I have recently found recipie for a cake that i would like to try but it contains half and half, i am in England and have never heard of this. what is it and what can i use as a substitute??

4 replies
JanH Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 3:39am
post #2 of 5

Half and half is a dairy product that is half milk and half cream. icon_smile.gif

Half-and-half is made by homogenizing a mixture of milk and cream. It must contain at least 10.5 percent milkfat, but not more than 18 percent ...

British equivalent:

Single cream (well, almost, but not quite).... icon_sad.gif
In BrE there really is no direct equivalent. Half and half is literally half milk and half cream, whereas single cream is simply cream with very little fat in it, and which will not whip well.

Perhaps half whole milk and half heavy cream would work.


deanwithana Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 3:46am
post #3 of 5

It is half milk and half cream........so that would be the substitute........

servingzero Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:12am
post #4 of 5

half and half is titled (very often) here in Canada, as "coffee cream" and I've used "table cream" with the same results. I think it's labelled at 18% ??

SOULLA13 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 5

thanks everyone for your replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%