Cream Cheese Buttercream, Does It Need To Be Refrigerated?

Decorating By Smiller94 Updated 21 May 2008 , 10:11pm by Tomoore

Smiller94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smiller94 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 7

I just finished making Cream cheese buttercream for my easter cake. I found the recipes off the internet. My only concern is I am not sure If the cake needs to be refrigerated after I frost it.

Here is the recipe I used

Cream Cheese buttercream

1/2 c shortening
1/2 c butter
4 oz. of cream cheese, softened
2 tsp of flavor of choice
4 c of Powered sugar, sifted
1-2 tbsp of milk (if needed)

The milk I did not add because my buttercream was very smooth and very easy to frost.

Thanks for the help! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 7

There is a great difference of opinion on this even within the Health Dept personel icon_sad.gif
I would say it should be o.k. on a cake for a couple of days in this weather. If it was hot, middle of summer I'd think twice.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 7

just by looking at your recipe, i would say it should be fine at room temperature. the cream cheese icing i used does not need refrideration, i found it off Sarah Philips site. She had a food scientist analyze different recipes, including cream cheese buttercream, and the conclusion was that if the sugar content was high enough then it did not need to be refriderated.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 12:03am
post #4 of 7
Smiller94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smiller94 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 12:13am
post #5 of 7

thanks for the replys,

After reading your replys I am going to leave the cake out at room temperature. Then tomorrow it will have to be outside for about 5 hours, thankfully though it will be cool here in Texas.

Have a Great Easter ! icon_smile.gif

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 21 May 2008 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 7

(I think I just have to ask...to reassure myself).

I made a "cream cheese icing" using 5 packages of cream cheese, a little salt, 1 c. shortening and 5 pounds of confectioners sugar...yeah, I was trying to replace the shortening with cream cheese in Sharon's recipe. It tasted fine, but I really want to fill my cakes and leave them out at room temp. (Plus, they're pretty big and I don't have the fridge space). Since they have so much sugar, think I'd be okay?

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 7

bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%