What To Charge For A Bct? (No Cake Involved)

Business By nisha_ru Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 9:23pm by loriana

nisha_ru Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 2

Someone called me yesterday wanting an elk to go on a 11x15 sheet cake that she was making. She doesn't do decorating like that so she wondered if I could make a 2-D elk and what I would charge.

What do you think I should charge? We live in a very small town (6,000) and I normally charge $1.45 per serving for my cakes. I'm thinking $20.00? Does that sound reasonable?

1 reply
loriana Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 2

Hey Nisha,

I think $20 sounds a little high, but you know best. You did say it was a 11X15 cake which is rather large.

IMHO I would feel much more comfortable giving someone instructions on doing their own BCT than selling one. This might sound really selfish, but I wouldnt want someone to take credit on my hard work when someone comments on the design. I know you can buy ready-made flowers and edible images ans such, but I really never think of an individual who made these and isnt getting credited for the design.

Maybe you can show your friend how to do one herself if she is practicing design? Just an idea... either that or tell her that all designs you do go on your own cake so you are happy to make her the cake she wants for $1.45 a serving (or whatever your price is). Sorry I didn't answer your question directly! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%