What Would Be Your Best Tip For Mmf Fondant?

Decorating By lepaz Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 12:01am by toleshed

lepaz Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 9

Hello all,
My kindergarten sons bus driver is retiring and I want to do a pretty cake for her. It will be something small enough for her to finish her bus route with (they have the cutest little Weeble-Wobble bus that she drives!), so I would like to do it in fondant (less mess). I plan on watching everything on YouTube about fondant..Anyways, here's the thing, I've NEVER even touched fondant, so what would be your best tip to a fondant newbie?? Something that no-one told you about and you learned on your own?
TIA

8 replies
mrs_morton Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 9

I just started working with MMF myself so I am interested in what the pros have to share. I have had the problem with powdered sugar sticking to the MMF when I roll it out. I read today that someone suggested using a piece of that plastic/vinyl sheeting that you cover tables with to roll the fondant out on. (available at Walmart in the Crafts section). Instead of using powdered sugar, people also use Crisco or a non-stick spray so the MMF won't stick when you roll it out. I am going to try that. However, I know Crisco can make the MMF shiny so it may be tricky. Making your own MMF allows you to add color to large batches instead of coloring white MMF. I add a teaspoon or so of glycerin or corn syrup to my MMF to allow it to stretch a bit. (I'm guessing a teaspoon or so but I really don't measure it....Maybe a tablespoon.) Make sure you have Crisco handy and coat your hands, back and front to avoid the stickies.

Lil_Belle Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 9

I wouldn't say I'm a pro at fondant but I would suggest trying to make mm fondant a day or so before you need it that way all the suger bumps will disolve. Also if you get fondant smoothers from michaels, or any where, they will be a great help when finishing your cake; your hands will get the cake flat but not as smooth as they can icon_smile.gif. Oh and if you mess up, just relax it's not going to make it out anyway icon_biggrin.gif

good luck and have fun!

toleshed Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 9

Make sure you use the correct amount of water with your marshmallows. I used tsps. instead of tablespoons. I do cookies, not cakes. For each piece of fondant I needed, I had to add water to it. It was so stiff. It worked but what a pain it was.

tippyad Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 9

I think fondant is beautiful. I wish I could say the same thing about its taste. thumbsdown.gif Instead of fondant I used rolled buttercream. You get the same smooth finish as fondant w/ the delicious taste of buttercream. If you haven't ever tried it I highly recommend it.

banba Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 9

I am no expert either but I have learned from cc to use cornflour/cornstarch for rolling out the fondant and this worked better for me than the powdered sugar.

I also like to add some flavour oils to it and that's a bit of fun and makes it taste even better. I add about 4-5 drops with the water.

Letting it rest overnight works for me. Be careful when you are softening it up in the microwave before use, burns and melts very easily. I give it about 5-8 seconds on high but depends on your microwave.

When you are rolling it out to cover your cake try not to roll it too much bigger than the cake, this helps stop it from tearing under it's own weight.

Pulling the fondant out and down as you smooth it onto your cake. Having a pin handy helps with popping any air bubbles you might get and just smooth them over.

toleshed Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:49pm
post #7 of 9

has anyone used michele fosters fondant? I would like to try that

born2bake Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 9

When making a large batch of one color fondant, add the coloring to the melted down MM and before you add the powder sugar. I add my coloring when I put the melted down MM in my mixer and mix in the color throughly doing it this way. Once you've achieved the color you are looking for, then add the powder sugar. Of course adding the powder sugar will lighten it up a bit, but with practice you'll get the hang of it.

I find using cornstarch is better than powder sugar to prevent sticking when you roll it out. I've seen on some video's where cornstarch is put either is a shaker or a knee high stocking (tie off the end) and either sprinkle the area you'll be rolling the MMF on or with the knee high, you kind of do the same thing. I use a a shaker.

Hope this helps.

What is Michele Fosters Fondant? Never heard of it.

B2B

toleshed Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 12:01am
post #9 of 9

Michele Fosters Fondant:

1/2 cup milk
3 packs gelatin (6 tsp - for reference in case you wanted to 1/2 the recipe)
1 cup corn syrup
3 Tbsp butter, unsalted
3 Tbsp glycerin
2 tsp vanilla (sometimes I use more)
dash salt
3-4 lb powdered sugar, sifted (at least once)

Its in the recipe section here

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%