Dusts

Decorating By SweetStuff30 Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 9:13pm by SweetStuff30

SweetStuff30 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, so i attempted to use a luster dust for the first time. I got it from Michael's and it wasn't called luster dust but something else.. i cant remember and i threw out the packaging. So anyways i thought it was going to be super easy to apply..... but apparently its not.. i couldn't do it dry cuz it wouldn't go on evenly... i tried the vodka thing.. and it worked 'ok'.. but i REALLY didn't want to brush the WHOLE cake in vodka worried it wouldn't taste good, and i heard that the lemon way was ok too but didn't taste good. Am i possibly using the wrong brush to apply it?? Are there special brushes u should use??? I loooooooooove the looks of the sparkles and really want to learn how to do! sorry so long! thanks for reading! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
step0nmi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 10

well...there are TWO things that Wilton carries now....Shimmer Dust OR Pearl Dust.
The shimmer dust is more like a sugar(grainy) that you just sprinkle on top of the cake...cannot really brush it on. Then the pearl dust is more or a pearl hue instead of adding luster....not very effective if you are wanting a cake with luster that really shines and goes on nicely.

Do you think you know which one you used now?

SweetStuff30 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 10

it was one of those, i used the gold and sliver.

step0nmi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 10

oh wow! I had written a WHOLE description about the two! Strange that it didn't show up! icon_confused.gif

sounds like you probably used the pearl dusts...those would have more of a sheen instead of a luster. probably why you felt like you didn't use a lot.

SweetStuff30 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 10

really?? crappy!!! I really want to know how to use these!!

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 2:25am
post #6 of 10

If your "dust" came in a small, squat pot, it was Wilton Shimmer Dust and it's not luster dust and can't be mixed with anything for application. The only way to apply it is to dampen the surface and sprinkle the dust on. It's basically finely crushed cake sparkles and melts in water or alcohol.

If your "dust" came in a tall thin tube, it was Wilton Pearl Dust and it is a luster dust that can be mixed with alcohol or lemon extract for painting. You add just enough liquid to make a paint consistency.

For painting brushes, I use a good quality brush that you'd buy in any art supply section of a store. I like the white, soft bristle synthetic brushes and also the soft natural bristle brushes. If you want a nice result, you can't use cheap or stiff brushes.

HTH
Rae

SweetStuff30 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 10

thank you! Its defentaly the long tubes so its the luster dust. I think ill go and look for a new brush also! icon_smile.gif Do you think the taste of the liquid you use effects the taste of the icing and cake? Ive never tired it before

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 10

No, I've never found either alcohol (Everclear, gin, vodka, or white rum) or lemon extract to impart a flavor. The lemon leaves a distinct smell, but I don't taste it. Others may feel differently.

Rae

kansaswolf Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 10

I've painted whole cakes with a vodka/color mix with no alcohol taste once it's dry... Never tried lemon extract, but clear vanilla or almond extracts work fine for me! Plus, those flavors are usually already in the cakes I make, so it doesn't compete.

SweetStuff30 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 9:13pm
post #10 of 10

oh ok, thats realy good to know!! thanks alot guys!! icon_smile.gif very helpful!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%