Steaming Gumpaste Flowers??

Decorating By mrsbink Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 4:36pm by tonedna

mrsbink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbink Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 7

I read something recently that mentioned steaming your gumpaste flowers after they are dry. Can anyone tell me what the effect of this is and how you would go about doing it?? Thanks for any help!!

6 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 7

Interesting... I have never heard of this. What does it do by doing this? What type of effect does it give??

Hope someone has an answer for this one because I am curious!! Wish I could help!!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 7

. . . the steaming is often used to "set" your colors if you have used "dusts" or chalks to color your flowers . . . you can briefly put your flowers over a kettle to "steam" them . . .

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 7

It sets the color. The color will deepen a little and it will add a shine to it.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 7

dragonflydreams is correct it sets the dust colors you have used and give them a life like appearance use a kettle i just put a little water in a pot hold the flowers or leaves etc over the steam for just a couple of seconds not long or you will melt the gumpaste nicholas lodge uses a small clothes steamer that works great too this puts a little shine on your flowers leaves etc

mrsbink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbink Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 7

thanks so much for the answer to that. I am knee deep in gumpaste flowers right now. Off to steam them now, I was wondering how I could give them just a little shine. Thanks so much!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 7

It intensify the hues of the colors and if you have more than one color it blends them more too
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%