Icing Problems

Baking By Maw Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 1:59pm by Maw

Maw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maw Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 5

The lady that I work for has a small shop. For years she has used the same recipe for her icing which she loves: 3 sticks butter, 6 oz Penguin high ratio shortening and beats that well, then she adds 6 cups powdered sugar. She adds milk as needed. Usually about 1/2 c. Penguin had a change in formula and she was not happy. The vendor suggested she use Bungee PS99 high ratio shortening. That doesn't seem right either. Sometimes she has to add more sugar. It looks like it is trying to separate. I suggested she whip it slower with her paddle, but she has always used the whip and doesn't feel like that is her problem. Sorry for the long post. I'm just trying to help her. TIA

4 replies
vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 5

maybe whip slower and longer. It has to emulsify and it should come together.
I hate when they change the ingredients on something that works.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 5

Oh man, that sucks....I really wish I could help you out but I am unfamiliar with those products. Maybe you are on the east coast...????
I am on the west coast and I use Sweetex hi-ratio.
I hope she figures it out! icon_confused.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 5

Ah the problem is likely a change to TTF (Trans Fat Free.) The shortening now has an oil base. It doesn't work well for icings. Bungee does, however, make a TTF that will work for icing--Vreamy.

Maw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maw Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks all of you for the input. I will lpas the info on to her.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%