nelly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelly27 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 8

has anyone got a good gluten free recipe

7 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 8

for what? Cake or cookies? In my gluten free baking I use Tom Sawyer Gluten Free Flour, add xanathan gum, and just use a regular recipe. HTH icon_smile.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 8

Ditto with what Foxymama does (but I use Bob's Red Mill flour). Also, if your recipe calls for vanilla extract make sure it is gluten-free. Most are (I think McCormicks, Nielsen Massey, etc...). Some of the extracts use a wheat-based alcohol and these are not gluten-free; you need the ones that are corn-based. Of course, the small amount may not matter depending on the extent of the celiac.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 8

I have been researching this, I would like to offer gluten free and vegan items. Just to clarify for gluten free, use a regular recipe with the substitutions listed above, is that for cake or cookie recipes? Or both?

How much xanathan gum do you use?

TIA! icon_smile.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

I have been researching this, I would like to offer gluten free and vegan items. Just to clarify for gluten free, use a regular recipe with the substitutions listed above, is that for cake or cookie recipes? Or both?

How much xanathan gum do you use?

TIA! icon_smile.gif

I use 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum per cup of 'flour.' I use a regular cookie or cake (or pie crust) recipe and use these substitutes. If you are looking for an egg replacement the only good one I've found is made by Ener-G foods. Good luck!!

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 8

I have had a lot of success with the recipes from this blog.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2007/01/cooking-baking-gluten-free-tips-for.html

Karina has come up with some wonderful recipes and great tips!

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 8

Bob's Red mill flour is great when you're busy and need a GF cake but there are other flour mixes out there that taste a little better. I also like to used a potato starch and rice flour mix.

gingerlemongirl.blogspot.com is one of my favorites for GF recipes and she shares a ton of links to other sites that have great recipes. I just made a peanut butter chocolate cookie recipe from her site last week and it was great!

Just make sure you really research all your ingredients before you make a GF cake using one of your regular recipes. Certain things can have gluten in them that you would never imagine. Also almost any store bought icing has gluten in it.

we need more GF bakers out there so good luck!

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 8

Bob's Red mill flour is great when you're busy and need a GF cake but there are other flour mixes out there that taste a little better. I also like to used a potato starch and rice flour mix.

gingerlemongirl.blogspot.com is one of my favorites for GF recipes and she shares a ton of links to other sites that have great recipes. I just made a peanut butter chocolate cookie recipe from her site last week and it was great!

Just make sure you really research all your ingredients before you make a GF cake using one of your regular recipes. Certain things can have gluten in them that you would never imagine. Also almost any store bought icing has gluten in it.

we need more GF bakers out there so good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%