Frustrated

Decorating By Gatorfan01 Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 4:50am by Wendoger

Gatorfan01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gatorfan01 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 11

I signed up for and completed Course 1 in February. The night of my final class I signed up for Course 2 but with a different instructor as I have a previous committment on the nights C1 instructor teches C2.

So, I show up at Michaels on the first Thursday morning in March for my C2 class. Instructor is doing the final lesson for her C1 class. (I drive over 30 miles to Michaels and someone could have called me.) Ok, no problem I understand somehow they missed a class. Instructor tells us that she has jury duty the following Thursday and would we mind combining Class 1 and Class 2 on the 20th and Class 3 and Class 4 on the 27th. We'll just be there for an extra 2 hours each day. No problem with me and the other ladies say they are going to sign up for the course and they don't have a problem with it.

So, Thursday at 9:00 AM I show up at Michaels with my cake stuff ready for class. I've so been looking forward to this class. Nobody is there. icon_cry.gif I wander around the store until 9:15 when I call the number I have for instructor. I get this message, "At the subscribers request, this number is not accepting incoming calls." icon_evil.gif Darn, now what do I do. About 9:20 I go to the head cashier and ask her if there is a number she has for instructor. She calls same number and gets same message. We are stumped as to what's going on. Manager comes over at 9:30 and says "give her until 10:00 when you class was supposed to start and then if she's not here we'll decide what to do then." So, I wander the store for another 30 minutes. At 10:00 he comes to me and tells me they are going to refund my class registration and he apologizes. He does tell me that he will find out what happened and "someone" will get back to me. Cashier tells me this is not the first time she has not shown up for a class. I get my class registration fees back in the form of a gift card and leave.

Later that day I call the first instructor who is the "head instructor" at this Michaels and try to explain to her what happened. She has no idea why the other instructor doesn't show and tells me there must be something wrong with the number I dialed because she has called the instructor and never gotten that message. She gives me her home number and when I call it, it's been disconnected.

I was really really looking forward to this class and learning about RI and basketweave. I want to continue with cake decorating and now I've missed an entire month of class that I could of taken at AC Moore. When I called the first instructor she told me I could skip Course 2 and just take Course 3 which I will probably do in April.

Sorry so long, just needed to vent about this. I'm still ticked off about missing a whole month of class. icon_twisted.gif

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 11

Aaahhhhhh that stinksicon_sad.gif In the more than 8 yrs I taught I only missed one class. I had something else on my mind and totally forgot it icon_sad.gif
I don't have any advice except to go to the Wilton site and lodge a complaint. I know there is a link somewhere on that site for such notes.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 12:38am
post #3 of 11

That stinks, but hey...look on the bright side, you've got a wealth of information here on CC. I only took Wilton course 1 and it was October 2006. I learned everything else by browsing books and cake sites. I'll guarantee you that if you search for basketweave, RI, etc. you'll find all you need to know right at your fingertips. And if you don't, all you have to do is ask in the forums. Best of luck to you.

kcw551 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcw551 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 1:07am
post #4 of 11

That not only stinks, but how rude! It's true you can learn alot from Cake Central, but I really liked the hands on demostrations you get with the classes. I'm a slow learner, I guess. I really enjoyed going to the classes, plus it was a chance to be around other people who are excited about cake decorating and just learning too. Good luck with your future classes!

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 1:10am
post #5 of 11

I went thru the same thing when I originally signed up at JoAnn's fabric and Crafts. After 2 times of the teacher not showing up and then rescheduling and not showing I got a refund and moved to another store (Micheal's) with another instructor. It put me back a month and I was on a time table to go thru all the classes prior to my daughters wedding.

You can take the classes out of order after you have had class 1. I have done all the classes now and I am going to retake 2,3 and fondant at another store and with another instructor just to pick up different things, even though I love my Instructor at Micheal's, She is even doing additional classes for some of her students (Additional gum paste flowers and cookies and cupcake bouquets). The more you practice the better you will get and the more comfortable you will be with everything.

Hang in there. I really love the instructor I finally got with and it was well worth the trouble missing a month and all the hassles of my first experience also.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:14am
post #6 of 11

UGH! That sucks! I'm glad the manager is aware of it and I hope they really do look in to it.

I hope you do get into the classes soon and that you get a more respondsible instructor!

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:33am
post #7 of 11

That really makes me mad! Wilton class should be a positive and fun learning exprerience. I looked in my instructor file and here is the feedback address...EVERYONE should leave feedback for their instructors! It really helps those that are good get noticed, and those that can't even make a parchment bag get the help they need! Wilton REALLY likes to get feedback, I am SO sorry this happened to you Gator! Keep your chin up! You will learn basket weave!

http://studentfeedback.wilton.com

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:34am
post #8 of 11

That would be SO dissapointing & frustrating!!! Hopefully you can catch up on course 2 soon, perhaps with your original instructor??

thecakemancan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemancan Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:41am
post #9 of 11

My suspicion is that The instructor was taken into a witness protection program?? icon_confused.gificon_surprised.gif anyway, I feel really sorry for you. I know how you feel. I went to a concert to supposedly help set the bands up, but whne I went they treated me like a four-year-old and said, "Oh you be an usher... Everyone says that they are with the bands... etc" So, just be thankful that you can go to course three and fondant & gumpaste. In my opinion, those re the fun ones!

Sean

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:44am
post #10 of 11

Oh,.....I would be sooooo upset!!!!!!!!! Between Michaels and AC Moore, maybe you can do both classes in April.....

With Course 2 and 3 it is not "build" thing......you learn two different techniques so you won't have to worry about that but I would look into it.....

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:50am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

That stinks, but hey...look on the bright side, you've got a wealth of information here on CC. I only took Wilton course 1 and it was October 2006. I learned everything else by browsing books and cake sites. I'll guarantee you that if you search for basketweave, RI, etc. you'll find all you need to know right at your fingertips. And if you don't, all you have to do is ask in the forums. Best of luck to you.

Totally agree...I think I learned way more here on CC just from all the different sources of knoweledge! Thanks to all my CC pals!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%