Why Do People Do This???

Business By craftyone65 Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 5:14pm by Narie

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:20am
post #1 of 10

I've only been decorating for about 6 months (actually just taking my first class right now). And I was wondering why people automatically assume you want to go into business to decorate cakes? I'm having fun and practicing to get better but whenever I give one of my cakes away people always try to talk me into going into business. First I live in Florida and can't but I'm soooo not good enough to be doing it for a living. I'm not sure if their just trying to be nice or assume that everyone wants their own business.
Has anyone else experienced this kind of response?
Seems like some people jump into stuff before their ready or just because others think its a good idea.

9 replies
miwhitern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miwhitern Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:42am
post #2 of 10

I have people tell me that all the time. My cakes are okay. I still have a long way to go and a lot to learn. icon_redface.gif I think most people that tell me that are genuine. I just don't think people realize the skill level needed for that or the time involved. I just am happy that at least friends and family like them and that I have a lot of fun doing them.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 11:44am
post #3 of 10

It is a wonderful complement and most people do not know this business part of this. They think your cakes taste good and look pretty. They are letting you know that they think you have talent. That is wonderful. But you need to do what you feel is right for you.

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 10

Dito to all of it!!!

I live in Massachusetts and I can't do it out of my home either. Still, I love the opportunities for practice and what little I get for mine I just use for supplies and more classes icon_smile.gif

At this point I just say thank you and explain I can't because I don't have a food license (hoping no one turns me in) but I'm trying to get a job doing this. Then I vent to close family and friends that "I'm just not a bakery". But of course I wish I could do it all the time thumbs_up.gif

Best wishes to you!

SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 10

What is even better is when you DO this for a living ( employed full time and I freelance) and people say " You should open a bakery!", Or " You should quit your job and just do this full time" .
Yeah, like it's so easy. I laugh and say, "Sure, if you'd like to front me the $100 grand, I'll start tomorrow!" LOL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:52pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarplumStudio

I laugh and say, "Sure, if you'd like to front me the $100 grand, I'll start tomorrow!" LOL

Exactly what I was thinking!

"Anytime you want to write me the check to cover the costs, I'll start doing it tomorrow!"

My dearest 83 year old aunt, god luv her, actually said to me, "Oh you don't need one of those fancy ovens! You just run over to Sears and pick up a couple of stoves really cheap. They won't care!" ("they" presenting anyone in authority, i.e. health dept!).

God luv her!

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 10

indydebi.........I think your Aunt is my Mom icon_biggrin.gif

It is also funny that you say all of this.......I lost my job in October and when I started taking classes (out of boredom) in January people began asking me if this was my next employment venture.....uh....that would be a BIG fat no!!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 10

yeah, my aunt comes from the generation that believes you "make do with what you got" ..... they survived the depression era by "making do" and they think everyone still does it that way.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 10

I have the same issue..Is like everybody tells me I should open my own business...I dont want too!..
I love doing cakes..not dealing with all the aspects of the business!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:14pm
post #10 of 10

"...they survived the depression era by 'making do' and they think everyone" can do it that way. Times change and so do the laws. Women used to be able to supplement the family coffers by baking, making noodles to sell, selling eggs etc. Not anymore even the Amish bakers around here have separate bake-houses to obey the laws.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%