I Really Am Not Happy With This.....help

Decorating By jsgurl916 Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 2:53pm by kakeladi

jsgurl916 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsgurl916 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:27am
post #1 of 6

I just did my first real cake deocrating today. I bake all the time but this was my first themed cake. I decided to use the Wiltons BC icing mix for the spread. The directions said if you are spreading it, add at least 1 extra TBSP of milk. I did just one. Well, when it came time to spread it, it was way runny. Did one TBsp make that big of a difference or is it crappy icing? I used precolored fondant for stars, circles, and mickey heads. That part came out great. The icin looks like crap, though. I am thinking next time just to use white fondant.......i was just nervous about maybe coloring the icing and not knowning how to color fondant. I didn't color the BC.

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:11am
post #2 of 6

Welcome to Cake Central. As with any icing, it can often require adjustment, powdered sugar if it is too thin, some liquid if it is too thick.

Depending on the humidity and other factors, the same recipe may not require the same adjustment every time.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 6

Our Wilton instructor advised us to always add liquid 1 tsp at a time, even if it calls for 1 full tablespoon...

Cakey1865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey1865 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 6

I had the same trouble so I just started making my own from a recipe on here and it is fabulous it is well worth the effort to make it...

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiav

I had the same trouble so I just started making my own from a recipe on here and it is fabulous it is well worth the effort to make it...

I couldn't agree more. BC icing is so easy to make. Just look through the recipes until you find one you'd like to try. I don't think you'll ever go back to premade again.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 6

<...Did one TBsp make that big of a difference or is it crappy icing? ...>

BOTH!! icon_smile.gif
As others have said It is soooooo easy to make b'cream you don't need to use a mix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%