Lemon Curd Recipes??

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 12:46pm by CakesByLJ

TexasSugar Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:19am
post #1 of 17

Not that long ago there was a post about Curd recipes. I'm not sure if it is still there or not but I remember it didn't really have that many recipes in it, and that is more what my question is about so I just decided to start a new post and ask.

I went looking for some Lemon (and other curd) recipes, and while they all basicly have the same 4 ingrediants in them, they seem to have different amount (kinda like buttercream). I was wondering if anyone would share their tried and true recipe or what the different items in the curd do.

At first I thought maybe one recipe had more eggs because it had more of the other stuff, but it seemed the recipe with more eggs had alot less sugar than another recipe with less eggs. So what is everyone's basic ratio for ingredients?

Here are the three recipes I found:

5 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
4 lemons, zested and juiced
1 stick butter

6 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 stuck unsalted butter

1 T plus 2 t finely grated fresh lemon zest
1 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/3 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 3/4 stucks (3/4 cup plus 2 T) unsalted butter

16 replies
ceshell Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 6:54am
post #2 of 17

Ahhh...I miss that thread, "OMG Curd!!" There was some great info on using other types of fruits to make different curds. But you're right, I think it was more about what curd is and how to use it, etc.

Anyway I tried sonoma9's recipe here in the CC recipe section http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4393-1-Lemon-Curd.html . It was great. I'd never made curd prior to that so I can't compare it to other ratios with regard to how differently they perform, but as far as a TNT recipe I think it would surely qualify.

ibmoser Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 17

My favorite is the recipe from WBH. I have tried a number of recipes, but I like the ease of preparation (uses whole eggs) and the texture of the WHB. I have made lemon and lime - very good.

1/2 cup strained fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
3 oz unsalted butter
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
4 large eggs

CakesByLJ Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Ahhh...I miss that thread, "OMG Curd!!" There was some great info on using other types of fruits to make different curds. But you're right, I think it was more about what curd is and how to use it, etc.

Anyway I tried sonoma9's recipe here in the CC recipe section http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4393-1-Lemon-Curd.html . It was great. I'd never made curd prior to that so I can't compare it to other ratios with regard to how differently they perform, but as far as a TNT recipe I think it would surely qualify.

I tried a couple of recipes from that thread, and found a winner in the Lime Curd from the Cake Bible.. I have made curds many times, and the biggest difference I have found is the intensity of the flavor, and the consistency of the recipe. This one is excellent, and I highly recommend it~!

lecrn Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 17

I tried a couple of recipes from that thread, and found a winner in the Lime Curd from the Cake Bible.. I have made curds many times, and the biggest difference I have found is the intensity of the flavor, and the consistency of the recipe. This one is excellent, and I highly recommend it~![/quote]

Do you mind sharing the recipe?
Thanks!

dinas27 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 17

the one I use most often is
3 eggs
1/3 c lemon juice
1 TBLS zest
3/4 c sugar
4 TBLS butter
When making curd for filling in cakes I leave out the butter.

For cakes that need extra stability I use Martha Stewarts recipe Lempon for for Almond Cake it is also very very good. I used this for my own wedding cake and it turned out very well, I think I substitued whipping cream and sour cream for the creme fraiche.

bashini Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 17

Hi, I have never tryed making curd, until I read that thread "omg... curd". Its not there anymore. I wanted to make Mango Curd and PattyT, gave a link form Epicurious, here is the link

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/15128

She said that she uses different fruits instead of Nectarine, but follow the excatly the same way. So yesterday I tryed it and it was a success. I LOVE CURD now!

I know that I haven't given any recipes for the Lemon Curd, I just wanted let you guys to know. And I'm hoping to use recipe that ceshell has given you here.

CakesByLJ Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

I tried a couple of recipes from that thread, and found a winner in the Lime Curd from the Cake Bible.. I have made curds many times, and the biggest difference I have found is the intensity of the flavor, and the consistency of the recipe. This one is excellent, and I highly recommend it~!

Thanks![/quote]

I sent you a PM, but I'm not sure it went thru.. did you get it?

lecrn Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 17

Thanks![/quote]

I sent you a PM, but I'm not sure it went thru.. did you get it?[/quote]

Nope.

TexasSugar Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:30am
post #10 of 17

CakesByLJ, would you mind sharing that recipe with me as well?

I tired making a orange curd yesterday. It tasted good but even though I strained it it was a bit grainy. I will try again though.

Does anyone know what the eggs do? Do they make it thicker or richer or something? And I wonder what is the difference between using the yolks and the whole eggs. The recipe I used for the orange curd actually called for some of both.

I thought I read somewhere someone saying they left out the butter when they made it as a filling, thought it was in this thread but I reread it and unless my tired eyes are missing it it was somewhere else. I wonder what difference that makes too. I guess I have some more experimenting to do. icon_smile.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:15pm
post #11 of 17

Texas Sugar.. I sent you a PM... I can't answer most of your questions, but from experience from having made many curds, the one from The Cake Bible is the best I have tried... I read too about the butter omission.. I don't know how that might affect it...

vixterfsu Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:28pm
post #12 of 17

Not big on Curd, but Toba Garretts recipe is amazing if you can find it.

Susan123 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:34pm
post #13 of 17

From the original thread, I tried the first recipe listed by TexasSugar; I've made 2 batches of lemon curd and 1 of lime. They turned out really well, I used both for cake fillings to a simple white cake. I also added the leftover curd to the buttercream I used as a frosting for the cakes (I omitted the milk in the buttercream recipe and substituted the curd) and it was really good. If anyone wants recipe instructions, I can post them on this thread once I'm home this evening.

dinas27 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:32pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I thought I read somewhere someone saying they left out the butter when they made it as a filling, thought it was in this thread but I reread it and unless my tired eyes are missing it it was somewhere else. I wonder what difference that makes too. I guess I have some more experimenting to do. icon_smile.gif

I leave out the butter often actually or add a lot less. for cakes I do this because it stays a little thicker and sets up better. More like a lemon pie filling than actual curd. The eggs are used as a thickening agent to answer someone else's question.

I cant seem to edit my old post?? Do we no longer have that option? Its supposed to say Martha Stewarts Lemon Curd for Almond Cake. It sets up very well with the gelatin making it ideal for wedding cakes. I paired it with Vanilla Bean Lemon cake for my own wedding... quite tangy even with the cream!

TexasSugar Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 3:07am
post #15 of 17

Thank you for that information, so a recipe with more eggs could set up thicker than one with less eggs?

The Orange one I made last night was on the thin side so next time I will leave the butter off when I make it if I want to use it as a filling.

And I think the edit feature only works for so long after you make your post.

peanut123 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 11:49am
post #16 of 17

TexasSugar,
There is not a simple answer to your question. Even though the ingredients are simple, there are lots of variables at play when making lemon curd. The article found in the link below provides some insight into the chemistry.

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/articles/foolproof-lemon-curd-method.aspx

CakesByLJ Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 12:46pm
post #17 of 17

Great article peanut123... thanks for sharing it with us.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%