Fondant On Round Cake - How?????

Decorating By giftsbystefani Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 6:52am by kansaswolf

giftsbystefani Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:17am
post #1 of 9

O.k. I have no problem when it comes to putting fondant on a square cake but when it comes to round cakes it never works for me.

My problem is this- I always tend to have a lot of overage? I have tried resizing my circle to fit the cake and either it's to short and want stretch without ripping or it's entirely to much and looks like a table cloth and by the time it hits my buttercream is a complete mess when it comes to trying to cut some off to try and fix it and if I do manage to get it the right size after cutting so much away I end up with this awful looking crease that takes forever to smooth out. Please tell me I'm not the only one that can't put fondant on a round cake?

Can someone please help me. What is the correct method for putting fondant on a round cake?

thanks guys

8 replies
izzybee Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:39am
post #2 of 9

Always roll out to 1/4", and I tend to have at least 1" overage, that way I don't have to pull it which causes thin spots, and tears. I pull it out from the bottom gently, and smooth it with my hands before I use the fondant spreader.

lovinkakes Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:41am
post #3 of 9

Fondant just takes practice, but basically you're kind of stretching down a bit while you're smoothing. I know that works for me. Others should have tips of things to think about while you're applying it.

Betsy1102 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:47am
post #4 of 9

I think you have to work kind of quickly - smooth it around the sides as fast as possible. I still struggle with this, too.

EricaT Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:48am
post #5 of 9

thats funny becasue i have trouble with square cake all the time and round ones are easy for me! its basically just yo have to learn to do it your way. after you cover it, start on top and smooth it out, as you work your way down the sides of the cake kid of stretch it out long ways, so your kind of pulling as you go to get all the extra at the bottom of the cake. hope that helps somewhat

sugarshack Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:59am
post #6 of 9

lift the "tablecloth" up and away from the cake with one hand while you gently coax the fondant down and agianst the side of the cake. "puff" and coax, all the way around, one fold at a time.

kind of hard to explain. icon_razz.gif

icer101 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:09am
post #7 of 9

sharon has a great dvd on covering fondant cakes round and square etc she shows so many details on the whole dvd it is great but if you don,t have time to get it before doing your cake there is a man showing how on also on

by anine2 she shows how to cover a round sharons buttercream and fondant are great and now you can preorder her how to stack cakes can,t wait to get that one hope this helps

RobzC8kz Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 6:32am
post #8 of 9

The way that works for me is to roll out my fondant about 1/4" thick and place it over the cake while the BC is still firm. What I do is ice and smooth the cake in BC, then stick it in the fridge til the BC gets nice and firm.

Start from the top down when smoothing. Use the smoothing tool to get all the air bubbles out of the top, the work around the cake from the top down.

You want to the upper half of the sides first, to make sure there's no air and to smooth out the fondant. Once you've gone around the top half of the sides, repeat on the bottom half.

As you know, don't pull or stretch the fondant as it might tear.

If you roll your fondant thick enough, you should be able to work it into place without any wrinkles. The only times I can think of where I had wrinkles in my fondant were 1.) when I first learning and 2.) if I didn't roll the fondant thick enough before applying.

Fondant takes lots of practice!

I'm sure you'll get the hang of it sooner than you expect.

kansaswolf Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 6:52am
post #9 of 9

So THAT'S what I've been doing wrong! Not rolling it out thick enough... Huh, well, I'll just have to try that sometime... Wonder if my DH will be up to eating a practice cake... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%