Wedding Cakes: Your Most Requested Chocolate Recipe

Baking By oceanspitfire Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 4:04am by CristinaB

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:39am
post #1 of 5

There are SO many bleeding recipes out there to choose from, lol. I've only touched the tip of the tip of the tip of the iceberg in finding one that I like, but more importantly that I get great feedback from.
Anyway, my twin sister said her fiance wants chocolate cake (she wants carrot cake, I have that covered already), anyway, I get to meet him for the first time next weekend when they come out this way to visit. And I want to do an informal tasting of cake/icing/filling. Just wondering if any of you fantastically gifted and wonderful wedding decorators have a most requested dare I say foodgasmic chocolate cake recipe that you use for your wedding orders? This is the one and only tasting/sampling that I can subject them to, as they live on the other side of the country, and I wont see them again until the week before the wedding when I fly out there. So I need a real winner (or two) to offer them to choose from next weekend.
Thank you so much in advance for your expertise in this matter icon_biggrin.gif
I'm so anxious that she asked me to do their wedding cake, this is a huge deal for some inexperienced schmuck like me lol(and she said 'anything will be fine' along with 'it will be a small wedding, probably 80-100 close friends. WHAT??? LOL)

ADDENDUM: As I'm sitting here perusing recipes, it occurred to me I should have mentioned I am ONLY looking for SCRATCH recipes- respecting a lot of you use (doctored) mixes. But I only do scratch cakes. THX icon_cool.gif

4 replies
ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:48am
post #2 of 5

the double chocolate cake from epicurous is really good and really popular.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/101275

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:00am
post #3 of 5

Honestly, my most favorite chocolate cake recipe is the chocolate version of the WASC. I will usually add a little espresso coffee or some cinnamon to enhance the chocolate flavor. It's really rich (without being TOO rich) with a great chocolate flavor. You can add some chocolate chips in it, too, for the choco-holic!

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:40am
post #4 of 5

I threw an addendum up there in my original post- it occurred to me I should have mentioned I only do SCRATCH cakes-no disrespect to anyone who uses (doctored) cake mixes. So SCRATCH recipes only please THX icon_biggrin.gif

CristinaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristinaB Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:04am
post #5 of 5

I just made the chocolate stout cake last weekend (also on epicurious.com) and it's just amazingly delicious!!! Very similar to the double chocolate cake, but you use 2 cups of stout in it. I read a post about it last week and decided to try it. There was someone who mentioned using Young's Luxury Double Chocolate stout and boy was that a good suggestion. It's a bit creamier and has a mocha flavor unlike Guinness. I had to go to the next state (a couple of miles, lol!) to get it though! Worth the trip!

I'll be using this for a groom's cake for my cousin's wedding in June! He'll love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%