Help With First Wedding Cake

Decorating By sjmoral Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 2:30am by sjmoral

sjmoral Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 11

I have my first wedding cake request for JUNE!!! I have been doing cakes for friends mostly and I am very happy about this (yes, the groom is our friend). So here it goes:
The bride wants a chocolate cake with chocolate icing and pink decorations. This is the one she emailed me as an example except she doesn't want the flowers, she wants natural flowers on top and nothing else. It is for 300 people.
My question is? How many people would a cake like this serve (to see how much more I need) How much should I charge? My husband thinks I should charge about $150 for my work plus the cost of materials (does it sound good?) What type of chcolate icing do you recommend ( I really want this to look fantastic).
She wants to know if I have more ideas and said that she is very simple. Thanks for your input, I love this website!!
LL

10 replies
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:15am
post #2 of 11

It's a beautiful cake! I'm saving this photo as an inspiration for a future cake!

Here is the wilton cake cutting chart that I go by, showing you number of servings per tiers, to give you an idea. http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

A 16/14/12/8 serves 330.
A 16/12/10/8/6 serves 300 even.

At my rate of $3/serving, I would charge $900 for this cake. So I think you can see that $150 over materials cost is way too low. (You're NOT going to spend $750 on supplies!).

Cake for 300, (assuming a home oven?) will take 6-8 hours, maybe more, just in baking time.

No way I would do a cake of this magnitude just to clear a measly $150. Sounds like your husband isn't very well versed in what's involved in creating a wedding cake.

sjmoral Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:30am
post #3 of 11

Thank you so much for the fast reply... I have no idea what people in my area charge for a cake like that, maybe I should find out and then price accordingly. I still haven't told them how much I will charge...

I have never done tiered cakes of more than 2 cakes... I need to get practicing!

indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:18am
post #4 of 11

If you can do a 2-tier, you can do a 10-tier! It's the same process, only the cake just gets taller! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

One tier at a time .... that's all it is. Just one tier at a time.

izzybee Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:35am
post #5 of 11

My cakes start at $2.25 per serving for basic flavors, and since this is such simple decoration, I would look at that. My material cost is about .25 per serving, so as you can see, I make a hefty profit. So at 300 servings that is $675. Don't go cheap because it is a friend. Hopefully you will gets lots referrals, and you don't want the bride telling them she only paid $150.

Use a masonite cake board, as this cake will be quite heavy. Also, use 1/2" PVC pipe as your doweling, and this cake will not move.

When you transport, transport in two tier sections, that's the easiest way.

Good luck!

sjmoral Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:00am
post #6 of 11

Thanks for the comments and help... what is a masonite cake board? I guess any cake deorating store that rents pans would know and probably have it? I thought of buying some wood and covering with a mirror, is this tacky or out of style?
When doweling, do I have the cakes ready with icing or fondant and then insert the dowels (pipe)? Do they have to go through all tiers?
I'll research on this topic and see...
Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

izzybee Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 11

Masonite is a form of wood, that cake decorating on line supply place. Also, you want to ask the bride if she wants a mirror, or just cover with florist poly foil.

If you are serious about getting into the wedding business, you need to buy some books on how to build wedding cakes. If you don't know how to dowel, don't try and guess, you will get a lopsided cake, that might fall, so research my girl, research!

Good luck

leah_s Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:50pm
post #8 of 11

Or you could just start off by using SPS to support your cake. You'll be amazed at how easy it is to us and how sturdy it is during transport.

rozdei Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 11

Here's an article to start from for stacked cakes: http://www.cakecentral.com/article23-Teired-Stacked-Cake-Construction.html

There are many threads on stacking and securing wedding cakes. Good luck and post your pictures. icon_smile.gif

BTW, I think $150 is way too low too. That's $0.50 a serving! If you want to give them a discount, be sure to tell them the actual price and tell them you're giving them a discount but even with a discount $150 for a wedding cake is too too low. You're going to be stressing out since it's your first wedding cake; $150 is not worth it. At least do $1.75 to $2.25 per serving, IMHO.

gandelmom Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:02pm
post #10 of 11

As I've learned from many CC'ers, you could make a smaller version and use sheet cakes for the extra servings. This would save your bride some money and might be easier for you to handle since this is such a big first tier cake!!
Just a thought! icon_smile.gif
Good Luck!

sjmoral Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 2:30am
post #11 of 11

Thank you all so much... I'll keep you informed and updated icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%