What Tip Do I Use To Build A Dam On Torted Layers?

Decorating By puzzlegut Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 3:37am by rozdei

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 16

What size tip should I use to build a dam for my filling for a torted cake? Normally I use the coupler when making a dam for a 2 layer cake, but I think that would be too much filling for a torted 2 layer cake. Thanks.

15 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 16

tip 12 is what Wilton reccommends in their classes.

rozdei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozdei Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 16

I use a #12 and I learned this from my Wilton courses too. It works great for me.

deena1987 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deena1987 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 16

I don't use a tip. I just use a cheap ziplock bag and cut a small hole in the corner. You only need a small amount of icing to build the dam so this works great and no washing or using a disposable bag. Just remember to cut small at first and then you can recut if you need to.

rozdei Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 16

BTW, and this may be obvious but I dam with the same icing I'm icing the cake with otherwise it defeats the purpose. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 16

In my Wilton class I was taught not to use a tip at all. Only the coupler. I recently learned from Sugar Shack's video that she does the same thing. As a matter of fact, she recommends the couplers without the notch (If you used the one with the notch, you just have to remember to keep the notch down- closest to the cake.

rozdei Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 16

msauer,

That's a great idea...I never thought of that...saves dirtying a tip. I'm going to try that next time. thumbs_up.gif

avenje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avenje Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 16

I just use the coupler without the notch as well. No tip needed.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:44pm
post #9 of 16

No tip dear-just a coupler!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 11:15pm
post #10 of 16

i've used both and like using just the coupler best

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 11:37pm
post #11 of 16

I haven't tried the coupler idea, but sounds neat!!! I use tip 12!!!

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 11:49pm
post #12 of 16

I've got Sugarshack's dvd and have also started using the coupler, it's awesome. I even thicken up some of the icing like she shows and it is such an improvement in how it prevents blow outs and you sure don't have to worry about any of the filling leaking out. I cannot find the couplers without the notch anywhere though. Neither Michael's or Hobby Lobby in my area have them. Where did ya'll find yours?

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiegal01

I cannot find the couplers without the notch anywhere though. Neither Michael's or Hobby Lobby in my area have them. Where did ya'll find yours?

I ordered mine online at Country Kitchen SweetArt. I think the site is www.countrykitchensa.com
They are not expensive, but you have to factor in shipping.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:03am
post #14 of 16

Dixiegal01 - I'm in a smaller town in Ontario, Canada, and I've had the same problem. No store I have access to sells couplers without the notch. I'm still looking, though. I'd rather not pay US dollars plus shipping for them.

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:34am
post #15 of 16

I normally use the coupler when I build a dam for filling between the 2 layers. However, I'm going to try to torte the cake and filling in between the cuts, which would create 3 layers of filling. I figured if I used the coupler to build the dam for the 3 layers, then that would be a lot of filling in between smaller layers. That's why I was wondering if anyone used a tip that would be smaller in size then the coupler to build the dams, that way the fillings would be in proportion to the rest of the cake.

rozdei Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:37am
post #16 of 16

puzzlegut,

I have used a #10 when my #12 tip was "dirty". That was when I only had one #12 tip. I have not used a tip smaller than #10 to dam. I'm sure you can use a #7 or even #5 to dam your layers. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%