Decorating Tips?

Baking By Hollygb22 Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 6:00pm by CINDY1956

Hollygb22 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 5

I am new to cookie decorating. I've been using the NFSC and AI recipes. Most of my cookies so far have been one color. i made some different hearts for V-day and 4 leaf clovers for st patty's day.

I plan on baking some easter egg cookies tonight and would like to try to add different colors and accents to the cookies. My only issue, I make AI, pipe the outline on the cookies, thin it with a little bit of water and fill in the cookie. I'm incredibly messy and my kitchen is covered in royal icing.

Just looking for any tips of making the process of doing this with multiple colors any easier. The thought of having tons of different pastry bags going with alot of different colored frosting is intimidating me at this point!

4 replies
tiptop57 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 5

Don't let the colors intimidate you! Make them behave and stay organized.

Don't use tons of color. I would stick to three colors and basic white and do combinations of each. You can get zillions of combos. Use one green, one yellow, and a pink with of then decorate each with the opporiste colors it's not a big deal if you line them up and keep an order to everything. If that is still too many then use two colors and a white which can give you many variations.

Another tip is to clean as you go and split the production into a couple of days. One day to bake, one to decorate etc.

If that still intimidates you look at these by Kraach and you'll get motivated! icon_lol.gif http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=923453

HTH.
LL

sambugjoebear Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 5

I had my first stint with flooding cookies this past weekend. Something that worked great for me was to fill the candy making squirt bottles with the thinned icing and then flood the outlined cookies. It was a lot less mess than using the bags.

*I just read the date on the post and noticed you had already made your Easter cookies. Hope they turned out well for you. icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 5

I have found that using high-ball glasses (the short glasses with the wide mouths) work great to hold my filled decorating bags. Just fold the open end of the bag until it's flat with the bag (the tip and the open end both point up)) and place in the glass. Keeps icing from running all over!

CINDY1956 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 5

I also found that when I sit my bags in the glasses if I insert a toothpick in the tips that helps...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%