Gerbera Daisy Cutters

Decorating By steph1005 Updated 10 Jan 2011 , 7:55am by Sharonvdberg

steph1005 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 14

I am making a bridal shower cake and she wants gerbera daisies on it. I am not sure what cutter to use just from looking online because im not sure the flowers will turn out looking really fake or not. can anyone suggest a good gerbera daisy cutter that they have used in the past?

13 replies
tiptop57 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 14

Welcome for our obsession Steph1005. I am not going to recommend a cutter they all work......even template cut out of cardboard. What you need is a really good tute to show you how to make a pretty Gerbera. So here you go......
http://www.gefjonsdottir.com/gerberatut.php

AlanT Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 14

My favorite gerbera cutters are the PME Sunflower/daisy/gerbera cutters. They cut and and veining detail all in one step. Alan

cupcakeninja Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 14

I agree with Alan. icon_smile.gif

born2bake Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:31am
post #5 of 14

I actually just ordered and am waiting to receive the PME Sunflower/daisy/gerbera cutters and the Margarite Plunger Cutter Daisy (sp?). I bought these after extensive research as I need to make Gerbera Daisy or regular Daisy for a cake in June. I'll be practicing using both cutters with fondant and gumpaste and will be happy to let you know how I progress in making these if you'd like.

tiptop - Thanks for the tutorial, this is just what I've been looking for to help me!

B2B

kwalsh4 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 14

I should have read this post first!!
I just received the JEM multi-petal daisy Gerbera cutters (set of 6). I am able to make cut outs from the 2 largest cutters but can't use the other 4. They just do not cut! when I press harder the gumpaste sticks into the cutter and I have to get it out with a pin, it is a mess. I have tried using 10x sugar to caot the gumpaste and shortening to coat the cutters but nothing works. I have never had a problem with a cutter before.
The 2 largest ones cut out but not neat at all, they leave ragged edges.

Maybe someone can help me as to what to do or are these cutters just not good. I paid $10.00 plus shipping for them and hate to just throw money away.

AlanT Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 12:19pm
post #7 of 14

JEM cutters are excellent but you will need to follow a few guideline.
1. Only use cornstarch with gumpaste. 10x sugar attracts moisture and will cause it to be sticky and get stuck in the cutter.
Crisco works fine with Mexican paste but I do not recommend it for gumpaste and these cutters.
2. Be sure the gumpaste is rolled thin enough.
3. After making the cut, move the cutter in a circle to be sure it has cleanly cut through or invert the cutter, drape the gumpaste over the cutter and roll over it with a small rolling pin to cut off the excess.
4. You can dust the cutters with a little cornstarch before cutting for an easier release.
Hope this helps. Alan

kwalsh4 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 14

Alan,
After talking to you yesterday I tried all those things and still no good.
What happens is that the gumpaste ends up sticking inside the cutter and I can't get it out without messing up the flower.
I have a number of other JEM cutters and have no problem.
I am going to see if one of my old instructors can work with this mold and get back to you.

CoveredInCake Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:42pm
post #9 of 14

Thank you for the link! That is the best one I have seen. It's now on my wish list! Thanks!

Cakechick123 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 11:06am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalsh4

Alan,
After talking to you yesterday I tried all those things and still no good.
What happens is that the gumpaste ends up sticking inside the cutter and I can't get it out without messing up the flower.
I have a number of other JEM cutters and have no problem.
I am going to see if one of my old instructors can work with this mold and get back to you.

I use the JEM cutters all the time for daisies. The trick is to use a slightly stiffer paste when using the small cutters. Add some more tylose to the gumpaste and give it a go.

kwalsh4 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:09pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks, I'll try that.

AlanT Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 9:13pm
post #12 of 14

That is also an excellent tip. When I use Patchwork Cutters, which have VERY small pieces, I always use Mexican Paste because it works so much better than gumpaste for small pieces. Lightly grease your board and roll out the paste very thin. Then lightly grease the cutter and it will cut cleanly into the paste. The paste will stick to the board instead of the cutter.
The recipe for mexican paste in on my website under "recipes". Alan

Sharonvdberg Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 7:54am
post #13 of 14

tiptop, what do I need to look for or to do on this link's page to see the tutorial?

Sharonvdberg Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 7:55am
post #14 of 14

Has anyone tried this with modelling chocolate?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%