Recipe For A Cake Couple Will Eat One Year Later

Decorating By Aidanjoy Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 3:49pm by laurie79

Aidanjoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aidanjoy Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 17

Well as you can tell I have not baked a wedding cake. The bride wants to freeze some of the cake for her one year anniversary and I just assumed well even in the freezer it has got to get a bit freezer burnt and taste like crap. Anyone know what recipes will last one year in a freezer. Sorry if this seems like a silly question but I really have no clue.

Thanks,
Aidan

16 replies
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 17

I copied this from Earlene's website, so the credit goes to her. However, I don't know of a specific recipe that would make the cake last longer in the freezer. These storing instructions would apply to any cake, except maybe a fondant covered cake and I don't think you can freeze those.

"Remove the cake from the separator plate by slipping a knife between the separator plate and the cardboard under the cake. Place the cake in a appropriate size box and wrap the entire box with several layers of plastic wrap and aluminum foil and then place the whole thing in another plastic container. When you are ready to eat your anniversary cake, remove the container from the freezer and let the cake thaw in the container with the aluminum and plastic still covering the box. Do not unwrap/open it until it is totally thawed. When the cake has time to thaw completely, remove the cake from the container/box, unwrap and enjoy!"

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 17

Gross.

Who wants to eat food (any food) that's been frozen for a year?

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 17

I know. I always recommend that they eat it on their 3 month anniversary. I use to make them a complimentary cake on their anniversary to match their wedding cake and then just included the 6" in with their servings, but so many reception sites wouldn't serve the top tier and they ended up with it anyway. So I stopped.

CarriM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarriM Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 17

I agree... seems pretty gross... I can't help with a recipe, but I would recommend to them to eat it on their one or 3 month anniversary instead of 1 year.

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 17

We ate our cake on our 1 year anniversary and it tasted just fine...........not freezer burnt at all! Now mind you, it didn't taste awesome like fresh cake, but it wasn't bad. Our cake was stored exactly how pjcakes described. Oh, and it was WASC.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 17

I know that not many people like fruit cake and that it is a huge undertaking to make one, but, I have heard that fruit cake holds up to freezing best.

Like I said I have never made one but I think you spend weeks soaking in in liquor so it is very moist and dense, maybe that's why it feezes so well.

I would try to make at least that top tier VERY moist and dense. Do you brush your cake layers with cake syrup? If you have some time to test it out maybe try brushing a pound cake with cake syrup, then filling and frosting and freeze it for a month or longer if you have time and see how it goes.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 17

Fruit cake fed with alcohol and well wrapped does not need to be frozen and would last longer than a year. This is how we do our traditional wedding cakes and have been for a very long time, European style I guess!

I would cover it in almond paste and royal icing not fondant as the fondant would not keep. I recommend homemade almond paste over bought marzipan but it's a matter of personal preference.

It also doesn't have to be a cake laden with fruit it can be a light fruit cake once it's got some alco in there it should be fine. You can also prick the surface of the cake with a skewer and drizzle some alco over it every couple of weeks although I think this is not an essential step as once the initial cake recipe has alcohol in it this will still help it to keep on its own HTH!

mezzaluna Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:54pm
post #9 of 17

Not sure where you're from, but if your customers are from the US do you honestly think that they'll even WANT a fruitcake?

I mean, fruitcakes ARE the butt of every christmas joke.....

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 6:32pm
post #10 of 17

mezzaluna I am from Ireland which you must have missed on the screen?!

Sorry you have had such a bad experience with fruit cakes maybe you have tried the wrong sort?

I was just replying to the post with my pennies worth ya never know when something you say maybe helpful to others.... and then again when something you say is of no use to anybody! Have a wonderful day and take care!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 6:55pm
post #11 of 17

I've had clients tell me that they fought over their year-old cake because it was so good, but I don't recommend that people save it that long. I think it all depends on how well it's wrapped, and it doesn't matter what kind of cake it is. I think eating a year-old cake would be gross, though...

On the subject of fruitcakes, if you tell Americans "fruitcake" they think of that nasty yellow log that they sell at the grocery stores every Christmas. If I get someone to try a rich fruitcake, though, they're usually converted. I'd never eat one of the mass-produced American versions (the recipes are different, they use different fruit entirely) but I make myself rich fruitcakes to hoard and eat, ha ha!

mezzaluna Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 6:58pm
post #12 of 17

Banba... I was directing my post at the OP, not you? Where in Ireland are you from? We've been to Ireland twice and are planning a third trip!

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 7:09pm
post #13 of 17

Something I've done for everyone I've done a wedding cake for is to take the anniversary tier (which I always do as a 6inch-no matter what shape), and wrap it gently in seran wrap and put it in the freezer until frozen - usually just a day.

Then take it out, unwrap it, and put it in a vacuum sealer bag (the standard large bags that fit the Foodsaver brand machine). Vacuum and seal tight. Every person I've done this for (and I've done it with all sorts of different types of cakes) has told me that the cake has tasted really good and moist one year later.

Just an idea for you!
Denise

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 7:49pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmylife

Something I've done for everyone I've done a wedding cake for is to take the anniversary tier (which I always do as a 6inch-no matter what shape), and wrap it gently in seran wrap and put it in the freezer until frozen - usually just a day.

Then take it out, unwrap it, and put it in a vacuum sealer bag (the standard large bags that fit the Foodsaver brand machine). Vacuum and seal tight. Every person I've done this for (and I've done it with all sorts of different types of cakes) has told me that the cake has tasted really good and moist one year later.

Just an idea for you!
Denise

now there's an idea!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 8:15pm
post #15 of 17

i wrapped my daughters wedding cake top tier like earlene says then put it in a tupperware cake holder one year later it was delicious it was just a pound cake it was good at the wedding and a year later it all depends on if you wrap it really good we need to be careful on what we say on this site some people like this some people like that and we have to respect that what tastes like crap to some people doesn,t taste like crap to others

mezzaluna Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 8:23pm
post #16 of 17

Hmmmmnnnn.... I've read and reread, but can't see anyplace where anyone has said that anything tastes like crap.

Taste is subjective, and if anyone allows themself to get insulted and upset because I don't like their favorite food/TV-show/brand of jeans, well....... what more can I say?

Det kan inte vara helt lätt att vara efterbliven.

laurie79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurie79 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:49pm
post #17 of 17

When someone buy a wedding cake from me i give them 2 choices add an extra tier to be frozen or make a replica tier of their wedding cake for their 1st anniv... they always go with the fresh cake......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%