How To Do This Order? Dilemma, Need Your Opinion

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 4:45pm by tonedna

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 22

a friend of mine asked me to make cupcakes for her wedding reception. there will be a cake, the cupcakes will just be an addition to the dessert buffet. i quoted her a price and she placed an order.

she basically gave me freedom to do whatever with the cupcakes, so i can decide on the flavors and the frosting and whatnot.

this is why i'm torn. since this will be the first time my cupcakes will be exposed to people outside my usual network (my family, family's friends) i really want to make them amazing in the hopes of getting referrals from the guests of the wedding.

problem is, the price i quoted her is just my minimal price. in short, very simple flavor maybe vanilla and choco mix, with simple frosting and no decorations at all (I was hoping to make little fondant roses for each cupcake)

SO, should i do the simple and cross my fingers and hope that my cupcakes would amaze them anyway OR should I spend more than I'm actually earning and just go for it with the fondant decorations and other flavors (carrot is really my BEST flavor)? basically i want these cupcakes to advertise themselves. BTW, if I DO spend more, i'll tell my friend to tell to quote a higher price than what we decided on if anyone asks her. Like i gave her a secret discount.

I am so torn.... icon_sad.gif

21 replies
hollyw567 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 22

If it's not going to push you for time or you're not going to lose a lot of money, go all out! Good idea for telling the bride to quote you higher. Show those guests what you've got!

mbh724 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 22

I would be tempted to do something more ellaborate in the hopes of furthering your business. It's the same as advertising.

Good luck. Post pictures of your work - I'll look forward to seeing them.

TheButterWench Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 22

Sometimes simple is best. You can showcase your flavor.

You can also, if you'd like just decorate a few to interspread around the cupcakes so that people can see what you can do.

sasporella Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 22

Could you do a mix? Half plain cupcakes with the tiny roses and the other half more ellaborate. That way you are putting your business out there but not having to go too much over budget. Sometimes aswell i think that plain and simple can look quite ellegant.

cohenandlillysmom Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 22

First of all how many cupcakes does she need? I ask this because I was thinking you could do cupcake bouquets. This allows you to do simple cupcakes but the presentation is what people will remember. I offered bouquets to a bride to use as centerpieces and because she had a tight budget i actually spent a little more $$ than she gave me but I bought 25 rectangle glass vases and they are mine to keep to use for other weddings.

I used tissue paper and a square foam. I also purchased 3x3x3 boxes for guests to take the cupcakes home.. I got 100 for about $23 (thats with shipping.) On the boxes there will be labels that say, "look at my cake its a beautiful sight, take cupcake home to remember this night."
LL

CarriM Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 22

I would probably eat the cost and do the fancier flavor/designs... tell your friend that you gave her a great price since she's your friend and it's your first time doing cupcakes. It'll be great cupcake practice and advertising for you! Just make sure you tell her what a deal you gave her, so she's not telling all the guests who ask about you how inexpensive your prices are....

TC123 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 22

Hi. If you can swing it financially, I think it would be worth it to "Wow" the wedding party and guests with your fantastic flavors and decorating skills. This would be a great way to showcase your work, advertise, and build your business. Not to mention, of course, pleasing the guests!!! Good luck & be sure to post pictures! icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 22

you guys are totally building my confidence, thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

dani that looks lovely! and square foams for cupcake bouquets? you just saved my life! Because i couldn't find the usual foams for the cupcake bouquet and I thought my hopes of making one would be dashed forever. thanks!

suzylynn58 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 22

I was glad to see this post because I have thinking over a similar situation. Do any of you ever offer an occasional upgrade on an order (of course, letting the customer know that they will be getting more than they paid for) to advertise and also to have something new for your portfolio?

I agree with the others. Go for it! Show off your skills!

Susan

cohenandlillysmom Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:03pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

dani that looks lovely! and square foams for cupcake bouquets? you just saved my life! Because i couldn't find the usual foams for the cupcake bouquet and I thought my hopes of making one would be dashed forever. thanks!

No one has called me Dani since high school. icon_biggrin.gif Except for my mom. icon_redface.gif It makes me feel young again. icon_smile.gif

Anyways, your welcome, be sure to post your result. Good luck.

cohenandlillysmom Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:07pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

Do any of you ever offer an occasional upgrade on an order (of course, letting the customer know that they will be getting more than they paid for) to advertise and also to have something new for your portfolio?

To let you in on a secret, I did my semi cake for $75 icon_cry.gif No one around here is used to cakes like that, I had to call the company and ask them if I could do the cake, they actually laughed at me. But I convinced them and my cake was the talk to the event (there were over 400 people there and they were from pretty large companies). So hopefully it pays off and now I will never have to charge so little again, the next one is going for no less than $600.

bobhope Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:08pm
post #13 of 22

i totally agree w/ showing off your skills. you may spend more than what you are paid for but i'm sure it will pay off when orders start getting in..good luck!!! icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:09pm
post #14 of 22

okay how about a compromise? just a swirl and topped with a fondant accent, maybe a heart with their initials in melted chocolate? the colors are pale pink and chocolate brown so am thinking choc brown frosting and pink fondant hearts? white or choco for the initials?

deanwithana Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:14pm
post #15 of 22

I would go for the WOW factor and present the "secret discount" idea.......it is a win on both!!! It seems as though I always do more regardless as I want the WOW factor every time and the friend will think she got a deal which always makes people feel good!!!!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:18pm
post #16 of 22

what do you guys think of my idea above?

I would love to do it in all fondant though. I saw some really amazing cupcakes here with fondant and each cake is decorated differently but using the same colors...

tiptop57 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:19pm
post #17 of 22

Sometimes the simplest designs are the prettiest.

I have seem some awfully gaudy and loud cakes and cupcakes.

Remember, WOW doesn't always have to be up in your face nor expensive.

bobhope Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:28pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

okay how about a compromise? just a swirl and topped with a fondant accent, maybe a heart with their initials in melted chocolate? the colors are pale pink and chocolate brown so am thinking choc brown frosting and pink fondant hearts? white or choco for the initials?

hmm, that looks pretty yummy to me..fo me,i'd go for the white for the initials for it to pop out since frosting is already choc brown

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:14am
post #19 of 22

great! icon_smile.gif i think it's a nice balance icon_biggrin.gif

cohenandlillysmom Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:40pm
post #20 of 22

Yeah, I like your idea cupcakeshoppe. I am doing cupcakes for a shower next weekend and doing the swirls in a light sage green and fondant polka dont sprayed with champagne colored luster dust and alcohol. You could do yours with light pink swirl and choco polka dots (Im in love with the dark choco fondant!) and then spray with pearl. That would be easy and give it a rich look. You dont need help, you are creative enough you just have to believe in yourself.

If youre anything like me your ideas come when Im tossing and turning, trying to shut off the crazy cake making machine in my head! icon_rolleyes.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:14pm
post #21 of 22

you got me! I can't sleep at night dreaming up cupcakes haha.

thanks for the encouragement icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 4:45pm
post #22 of 22

Maybe you can use the filligree cupcake liners...and beautiful decorations and still get a nice look without killing yourself . A beautiful cupcake tree makes a huge difference on the look of the cupcakes!
Edna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%