Grainy Buttercream

Decorating By Jmtreu98 Updated 9 May 2008 , 2:51am by JanH

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 38

I have had nothing but problems lately with my buttercream turning out to have a grainy texture. I always use fresh bags of powdered sugar that have been sifted. I even sifted before using.

I let it go in my KA for at least 10 minutes, just mixing and mixing, but still having the same problem.

The receipt I use is:

1/2 Cup Butter Softened
1/2 Cup Shortening
2 TSP Milk
4 Cups of Powder Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks,

Jeanene

37 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 38

The only thing I can think of would be to use a little more milk/liquid. I use at least 3T of liquid for that size recipe. Or try switching to a different brand of PS. HTH!

Jmtreu98 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 38

Thanks awolf24....

Actually I put 2 tablespoons of milk in...Need to learn how to type. That is what the receipt calls for.

I don't know what else to do icon_cry.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 38

What brand of powder sugar are you using?

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 38

Are you using 10x powdered sugar? If not that may be causing the grainy texture because the powdered sugar isn't sifted enough. Not all PS are created equal.

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 38

Have you ever tried Sugarshack's recipe? I've modified my own recipe as she mixes hers. She's on youtube.com. For the video put "Sugarshack buttercream" in the search box. She's great!!! Hope this helps.

Tippyad

heycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heycupcake Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 38

dont use crisco!! use the cheapy brand of shortening---i was having the same problem and this helped!!

Jmtreu98 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by heycupcake

dont use crisco!! use the cheapy brand of shortening---i was having the same problem and this helped!!

I am using crisco...Is it the transfat thing doing it?!?!?! I thought that could be an issue because I am specifically buying the powdered sugar that is 10X Sifted!

I will try that...Thanks everyone for your help!

CristinaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristinaB Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 38

Try the "Buttercream Dream" recipe...I think it's great. I use only salted butter and real vanilla extract though, I like the taste better. I only mix my buttercream until the sugar is all well incorporated with the butter/shortening. Then I'll use about 5 tbsp milk and mix it again just until the milk is all in. I've never heard of mixing in for 10 or more minutes...maybe that's the problem??? Good luck!

Here's the link

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2123-Buttercream-Dream.html

heycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heycupcake Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:43pm
post #10 of 38

I think it is the trans fat---Ive read that on other forum posts.

Happy to help!!
Goodluck!! thumbs_up.gif

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:45pm
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmtreu98

Quote:

I am using crisco...Is it the transfat thing doing it?!?!?! I thought that could be an issue because I am specifically buying the powdered sugar that is 10X Sifted!

I switched from Crisco to store brand recently. Made a BIG difference in my icing...no more Crisco for me until they put the transfats back in. icon_lol.gif

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:52pm
post #12 of 38
Quote:

Quote:

my bet is that its your sugar. there ar plenty of 10x sugars that aren't any good, especially if its not pure cane sugar. i use 6x sugar actually, and much prefer it to 10x. and you could have just gotten a bad batch of sugar! that happens sometimes

Jmtreu98 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:52pm
post #13 of 38

Thanks so much everyone!!!! I can't wait to go home and try a new batch out (at work playing - shhhhhh).

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!

Jmtreu98 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:54pm
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccakelly

quote]

my bet is that its your sugar. there ar plenty of 10x sugars that aren't any good, especially if its not pure cane sugar. i use 6x sugar actually, and much prefer it to 10x. and you could have just gotten a bad batch of sugar! that happens sometimes

I bought C&H which specifically said 10X, I don't think I've seen 6X in my store. What is the brand?

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 6:53pm
post #15 of 38
Quote:

I bought C&H which specifically said 10X, I don't think I've seen 6X in my store. What is the brand?

i exclusively use domino brand sugar. i get bulk 25 lb bags of 6x Domino sugar from a commercial supplier. the one time i got grainy icing was when i used a different brand of sugar. since then i strictly use domino.

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 7:23pm
post #16 of 38

CristinaB, does the Buttercream Dream crust and are you able to decorate with it? I've also modified my buttercream recipe to Sugarshack's recipe and technique, her cakes are just awesome!

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 7:23pm
post #17 of 38

I use the chef and baker's preferred brand which I buy at Sams......I have never had a problem until last week and it happened to grain.....I made another batch out of the same bag and used the same recipe and had no problems....so sometimes I wonder if it is the weather???

CristinaB Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 8:27pm
post #18 of 38

Hi Dixiegal01!

Yes, Buttercream Dream crusts nicely (or you can easily prevent if from crusting by covering it with plastic wrap). It's perfect for decorating too. I haven't had any trouble getting it smooth (it responds BEAUTIFULLY to the hi density foam roller "Melvira" method) and I've been able to pipe anything I've needed to with it (it's very easy to work with). AND it's yummy! Hope that helps!

And yes, Sugarshack's work is just amazing and inspiring!

Dixiegal01 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 9:19pm
post #19 of 38

Thanks, I think I'm going to try it. Have you ever used it for a fbct?

CristinaB Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 9:25pm
post #20 of 38

You know, I've never done a fbct! It's on my experiment to-do list! I bet it would work well though, there's lots of real butter in it so it should freeze well and hold it's shape too! Let me know if you try it and how it comes out!

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 9:43pm
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccakelly

Quote:

i exclusively use domino brand sugar. i get bulk 25 lb bags of 6x Domino sugar from a commercial supplier. the one time i got grainy icing was when i used a different brand of sugar. since then i strictly use domino.

I completely agree - Domino rocks!! When I use any other brand of PS, my icing is grainy and has a different taste.

However, I also agree that it could have something to do with the Crisco. Last summer, not to long after they switched, I had problem icing for about a month before I switched to a high ratio.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:22pm
post #22 of 38

I use IMBC exclusivley but made the WBH with high ratio shortening and C&H powder sugar and my BC was grainy as well. I thought it was because I was use to the smoothness of the IMBC. I have a "kids" cake coming up next weekend and was going to make the "Extra Special BC" recipe from Wilton so I hope it doesn't turn out grainy!

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:42pm
post #23 of 38

You know, I honestly think that sometimes batches turn out bad, period. To point the blame in one direction is hard for me.
Surprisingly, I use the no trans fat Crisco and don't have any problems at all. Last week I had a batch of grainy b.c. for the 1st time and couldn't figure out why. Re-did the batch (again, with no trans fat) and it was perfectly smooth, no air bubbles. Go figure.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:57pm
post #24 of 38

The Buttercream Dream is great for FBCT!

CristinaB Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:57pm
post #25 of 38

I've used the non-trans fat Crisco with no problem. I tried the Wal Mart brand shortening with the trans fat still in it and I didn't like the taste of the frosting. The consistency was the same with both, I just went for personal preference in taste. The only thing I've noticed that doesn't work well with the new Crisco is my pie crust recipe. It just seems mushier and softer. I have to refrigerate it longer before I can roll it out!

CristinaB Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 11:01pm
post #26 of 38

Excellent! Glad to hear that BC Dream is great for FBCT. I must try it now!!!!

Dixiegal01 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 11:45pm
post #27 of 38

I'll be using the Buttercream dream the fbct I'm doing next weekend then....thanks for letting us know christeena

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 11:56pm
post #28 of 38

I agree with a prev post .... it could be just a bad batch for any number of reasons.....beet sugar vs. cane sugar; brand of sugar; humidity; bad batch of shortening......

I've never used anything but Crisco. I never had any problems with the switch to transfat. Didn't know there was a problem until I read various threads about it. (Correction ... I did use a cheaper brand once .... ONCE! 25 years ago. Switched back to crisco and NEVER used anything else since.)

I also use whatever powdered sugar is on the shelf. Dominoe, walmart brand, Baker's Chef. I can't tell any difference.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:10am
post #29 of 38

At least you all have a choice of powdered sugar! I live in a smaller town in Ontario, Canada. My local grocery stores stock one brand of ps and only one. There's nothing on the bag regarding 6x or 10x, nothing. Plus, I can get some at the local Bulk Barn, which I presume is their "store" brand. Again, there are no details provided about it on the sign above the bins. I've never seen Domino or Baker's Chef, or any of the other brands all of you have mentioned. I don't live right near a Wal-mart, but I could check one out next time I am near. I'm just envious that you can even pick and choose what you want!

Lil_Belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Belle Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 7:21pm
post #30 of 38

tracey1970 - I was thinking about that too. I never really thought about other parts of the world when baking. I just thought we all has albertsons and wal-marts XD. I feel for you though icon_smile.gif

as for the BC, I warm the milk in the microwave for a few seconds then add it and it worked wonders for me icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%