Would This Be Possible?

Decorating By fabfour Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 4:14am by AZCakeGirl

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 11

I'm doing a 45th wedding anniversary cake for my inlaws the end of May. She is a cake decorator of 25+ years. I want this cake to be breathtaking. The cake she picked out is one from this site but for the life of me I can't remember who did the cake. So if this is your cake, my appologies (sp) for not giving you proper credit.

What will be different is, the color is sappire blue and silver. The ribbon of course will be blue and I am going to make a fondant plaque paint it silver with an edible image picture of them as a cake topper surrounded by flowers. The square cakes will have the diamond pattern and I will make silver dragees to tie in the silver. NOW... this is what my mil wants (and I'm nervous about) she wants the bottom square to be 14" and set it on the 17" round crystal look plate and have this big cake on the 13 3/4" pillars and have the fanci fountain underneath. Would that be too heavy? The last thing I want is the plate to buckle from all that pressure and not only the cake fall but crash my fountain and it would just be horrible.

This cake has got to be my best, I do love my inlaws and this is a great celebration. But there is (whether it's healthy or not) a level of competition because my fil is always making little remarks about needing my mil's help with cakes. My second wedding cake I asked her one question and then with my 4th wedding cake she showed up at the venue to "help" and now it doesn't seem like I can live it down.

Would any of you really but this cake on top of a fountain????
LL

10 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 11

What a Pretty cake awe you can do it go with your gut feeling As long as you dowel it (which I know you will) It seems that it will work When I'm nervous about a cake being to heavy I go to Lowes and buy a piece of ply wood ( they will cut to size) cover it with parchment paper and place it cake under the whole thing just to make sure it has some stability. Good luck and please post I sounds like a very pretty cake

Molly2 thumbs_up.gif

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 11

Here is a picture and all though it is only 3 layers the bottom cake is 15". I'm sure it will work out great for you. It is on the Wilton site.
LL

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 11

The cake design was done by SugarShack. I'm sure she'd be glad to give you any pointers. It's a beautiful cake. One of my favorites! She does amazing work.

GL!

ness-p Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ness-p Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 2:32am
post #5 of 11

is that top cake real?

Delicate-Lee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delicate-Lee Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 4:36am
post #6 of 11

Very nice cake! after 45 years they deserve something as stunning as that!

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 11

The cake will not come crashing down. These plates are meant to hold up to the weight. Sorry you have to go through that with your FIL and MIL..I hope I don't do that with my DIL! Just one question, did you measure the 14" square to be sure that it fits on the 17" round? That is big problem with squares on round bases.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakequeen50

Just one question, did you measure the 14" square to be sure that it fits on the 17" round? That is big problem with squares on round bases.

Excellent point! square pans are measured side to side, but if you measure corner to corner, they are much bigger!

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 1:01am
post #9 of 11

Ohh, I never thought of that! I have to buy a 14" square pan sometime (I don't have one right now).
Thank you cakequeen50 - I would never have thought of that!!

I just want to clarify, I love my inlaws and I know they love me it's just I've been doing cakes for about 12 years but only wedding cakes for 3 I used to say I would never do them because of the stress, once I did one (for my brother) I was hooked. Our styles are just way different, she is more "old school" and I try to research things to death and stay up with the trend.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:44am
post #10 of 11

I would make a 14" sq. pattern to see if it fits the 17" circle before buying anything. Also, are you using a board under the cake? I'm sure you'll have to put it right on the plate without a board if it fits.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 4:14am
post #11 of 11

I agree, just make a pattern to find out if it will fit first. You can even just cut out a piece of paper that is a 14" square shape & place it on the plate to see if it works or not. I think 3 inches would be cutting it really close, usually when doing mixed shape cakes with square & round cakes, I've found that a 4" difference between tiers is the least I can go. I've never tried only a 3" difference so you might be able to do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%