What Is Your Favorite Wedding Cake And Icing Recipe?

Decorating By lutie Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 11:58pm by kwalsh4

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 24

Let us help get the lost forums and their important information back online. Send your favorite wedding cake and icing recipe since the "season" is fast approaching. Personally, I find the White Almond Sour Cream recipe a little dry and have recently used the Magnolia Bakery White Cake Recipe due to its moistness. White cake is a little dry, in my opinion, so that recipe has been a hit with those I have made. What is your personal experience?

23 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 24

In my experience, brides usually want my vanilla pound cake with "butter" bc icing. Neither of them are hard at all. Here goes:

Vanilla pound
1.5 cups shortening
3 cups sugar
7 eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla flavoring

Cream together shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Combine flavoring with milk. Add flour and flavored milk alternately. Bake at 325

Buttercream
2 sticks room temp butter
1 cup shortening
1 tsp. clear vanilla
2 lbs. powdered sugar
pinch salt

Cream together butter, shortening, and flavoring. Add sugar and salt. Thin with water to desired consistency.

Neither of these are rocket science, but they are tried and true recipes from this southern cook and get rave reviews around here.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 24

Hmmm....WASC was dry for you? I'm surprised as that turns out really moist for me. Still my favorite by far (had to stick up for it!). icon_smile.gif

jack109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jack109 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 24

That Magnolia Bakery White Cake Recipe sounds great! Can you post it?

Danielle111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle111 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 24

Sorry guys, I don't have any new info. (WASC w/ BC is a favorite for me, too)... ...But I just had to say congrats to Jack109 for the weight loss!! Good going, Jack!! icon_smile.gif

jack109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jack109 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 24

Thanks Danielle11! Your cakes are beautiful by the way! I need to stay off of CC so that I can keep this weight off though! I really want to try cake balls, but I know I would eat them. I have to make a cake Wednesday for my son's 18th Birthday and that Magnolia white cake sounds yummy. I am going to search through the recipes.
Happy Easter!

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 24

love WASC and i use dixie's icing...LOVE IT! www.dixiesicing.com

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 12:08pm
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

In my experience, brides usually want my vanilla pound cake with "butter" bc icing. Neither of them are hard at all. Here goes:

Vanilla pound
1.5 cups shortening
3 cups sugar
7 eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla flavoring

Cream together shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Combine flavoring with milk. Add flour and flavored milk alternately. Bake at 325

Buttercream
1 cup shortening
1 tsp. clear vanilla
2 lbs. powdered sugar
pinch salt

Cream together butter, shortening, and flavoring. Add sugar and salt. Thin with water to desired consistency.

Neither of these are rocket science, but they are tried and true recipes from this southern cook and get rave reviews around here.

Hi there, I am intrigued by your recipe. So you use no butter in your cake, all shortening? What about butter flavored shortening?

jammjenks Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:43pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkisInOkinawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Vanilla pound
1.5 cups shortening
3 cups sugar
7 eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla flavoring

Buttercream
1 cup shortening
1 tsp. clear vanilla
2 lbs. powdered sugar
pinch salt

Hi there, I am intrigued by your recipe. So you use no butter in your cake, all shortening? What about butter flavored shortening?

You got it! The cake itself has no butter. I have never used butter flavored crisco, but it would probably be great. That cake recipe came from my grandmother. I have used all sorts of bc recipes on it, but the one above is the on I like the best.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 24

How large of a cake does that make,jammjenks ?

Danielle111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle111 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:01pm
post #11 of 24

Hey, no problem, Jack! I'm working on losing weight, too, and it's encouraging to see that someone is reaching their goal! So, hats off!

marjiw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marjiw Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 24

HI All. What exactly is WASC and where would I find the recipe?
thanks!!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:41pm
post #13 of 24

WASC-white almond sour cream, and it is the recipes section here on CC.
Its really awesome!
I am using it for a wedding in August.

jammjenks Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 3:50pm
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

How large of a cake does that make,jammjenks ?

Not sure how many cups it ends up being, but I use two runs of it in my 11X15 pan. I don't have a bowl or mixer big enough to double the recipe. Most pound cakes aren't recommended for doubling anyway. Does that help?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 5:03pm
post #15 of 24

Sure does...... THANKS !

marjiw Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 7:01pm
post #16 of 24

Thanks for letting me know what WASC is. Sounds good! I will have to look up the recipe!!!

pasquerto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pasquerto Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 6:51am
post #17 of 24

on the "best scratch recipe" thread there was a buttermilk yellow cake and one from the mermaid bakery that everyone was raving about....any leads on those recipes?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 5:20pm
post #18 of 24
lutie Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:12am
post #19 of 24

Here is the Magnolia Bakery Traditional Vanilla Cake Recipe

On medium speed, cream until smooth:
1 cup butter, unsalted (softened)

Add gradually and beat until fluffy (about 3 minutes)
2 cups sugar (I only use Pure Cane such as Domino)

Add one at a time, beating well after each egg:
4 large eggs, room temperature

Combine the flours and add in 4 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla extract, beating well after each addition:
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour *I use King Arthur or White Lily
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour * I use King Arthur or White Lily

1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Divide batter among Three 9 x 2 inch round cake pans which have been lined on the bottom with waxed or parchment paper, greased and lightly floured

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes @ 350 degrees F or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool in pans 10 minutes

Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.

Brush a simple syrup over the tops (2 cups water and 2 cups sugar which have boiled for a couple of minutes until dissolved)

My Best Butter Cream Icing

(For a 14 x 10 x 6 wedding cake)

Cream until Fluffy:
2 cups butter, unsalted (1 pound box)
2 cups Crisco * depending on the weather... sometimes I reduce the Crisco and use more butter... but always use 4 cups total

Add and Continue Beating:
16 cups 10X (powdered) sugar
2 Tablespoons Meringue Powder
1 teaspoon salt

*At this point, I add about 1/2 of the whipping cream and the extracts

2 teaspoons vanilla extract (only real, not imitation)
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoon clear butter flavoring

Add the rest of the whipping cream you did not put in previously.
2 to 2 1/4 cups whipping cream

Keeps for a week in the refrigerator and freezes well for months.

I have served this several times at weddings and everyone comments about how tender and moist the cake is and the fabulous butter cream icing. The men love it and always come back for seconds! (That is my barometer when it comes to wedding cakes and punch
icon_smile.gif )

lutie Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:15am
post #20 of 24

Oops! I forgot to mention, in my humble opinion, the scratch cakes are more tender and moist... that could be why I am not sold on the WASC for wedding cakes. Please do not take it as a criticism of all you who are WAXC fans; it is just a personal preference.

marjiw Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:09am
post #21 of 24

I have to say I prefer the taste of a scratch cake over a box or WASC too. Not in offense to others just my preference!

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:26am
post #22 of 24

Sorry but I LOVE WASC cake and I get raves about it!!

Just my honest opinion icon_smile.gif

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 10:28pm
post #23 of 24

Well, I am usually a box baker myself, but that Pound Cake recipe sounded so good. I have it in the over right now!

Thanks for the recipe!

kwalsh4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwalsh4 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 11:58pm
post #24 of 24

I have made the Magnolia Traditional Vanilla cake and substituted coconut milk for regular milk and it tasted great, a little moister then the regular recipe. You have to bake a few minutes longer.
I find magnolia's white cake recipe a little dry.
The pound cake sounds good, I'll have to try it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%