Silly Question About Pricing...

Business By nicolesplace Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 4:27pm by nicolesplace

nicolesplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesplace Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:01am
post #1 of 5

I am taking my first steps to get my business going & am unsure about wholesale pricing. I made a mexican chocolate torte & would like to approach a local mexican restaurant selling them wholesale cakes.

Here's my ???

The cake is 9" round &cost me $3.50 to make, took about 5 min to make the batter & 35 min to bake. What do you think would be a fair wholesale cost so that I am making it worth my while & theirs??

Thank you in advance..... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
nicolesplace Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 5

So I did some figuring out. What do you think about $15 / torte ? I figure that the restaurant can probably get 8 servings @ $5/ serving, allowing for them to make $35 / torte.

Feedback....please ?!?!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 5

I don't know much about wholesale, but 8x5=40, so the restaurant would stand to make $25 profit. Why allow the restaurant to make the bigger profit?? I would sell it at $20 at least.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 5

In my opinion, the restaurant should be making the larger "profit", because they carry the risk of staling. The cake may serve 8, but what if only 5 pieces sell before it stales? If they are losing money, they may stop ordering. They also have the expense of the labor to serve the cake, the dishes to wash, etc. So that $25 profit may actually only be $15 or $10.

nicolesplace Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 5

tee hee.... I'm usually good @ math. Must be the 3 kids under 6 running around with pre- easter jitters!

$20 does seem more lucrative for me, I was thinking that with them needing to plate it etc.. the extra $5 might lure them in a little easier.

Got to go tweak the recipe a little - it was a little too spicy.

edited to say:
I agree with them making more profit. It is actually not a full on mexican restaurant but a bistro that does very popular mexican inspired menu on Monday nights.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%