I Know This Sounds Silly...but Im Scared To Try Different Fi

Baking By aprilcake Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 8:05pm by aprilcake

aprilcake Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:20am
post #1 of 9

so far I have only mainly used buttercream...one time I did make a raspberry mousse for the filling...i really want to venture out and try something but "A" i dont know where to start and what cake/filling I should try first, and "B" i dont know what a lot of these things are like bavarian, amaretto and such...they sound yummy...i know amaretto is a liquer...but I have never bought it so I dont even know what it looks like and how i use it...and bavarian cream...what does that taste like...all these amazing cake combos I hear sound so great but so frightening to me...any help?

8 replies
cakemom24 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:38am
post #2 of 9

I have used several "basic" flavors but I am with you on the others!! I want to try but just don't know where to start!!

aztomcat Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:44am
post #3 of 9

Well Aprilcake,

You have fun ahead of you. If you want to begin flavorings in small way, you can add jams to some of your buttercream for a nice but faint flavor and use it as your filling.

Create a dam of your plain butter cream and fill it with the jam-flavored buttercream. If you make or buy a filling --- same thing you create a dam to keep the filling in and you simply spread the filling in the middle. Some cake stores have the fillings pre-made for sale.

Another way is to flavor your buttercream with clear flavorings or oils, this would make a "lemon buttercream" filling for example.

I have used recipes and cooked my own fillings. I had a request for a guava cake with guava filling. The filling recipe was guava nectar, sugar and pureed guava cooked until thickened and then cooled before using.

I have made a cream cheese fillings with fresh strawberries. There are listings here in the forums of good cake and filling combinations.

If you are afraid, let your family be your guinea pigs, make some 6" cakes and try different fillings. Once you do, you'll see how easy it is.

A lot of my clients would just as soon go with buttercream filling. Some like chocolate, too .

Good Luck....Hope this helps.

Dee in AZ

sari66 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:48am
post #4 of 9

hi aprilcake, where to start? well start with what you like carrot cake and cream cheese icing, lemon cake with lemon filling, and so on. As for the amaretto (buy a small bottle)you can get it add it to some simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water boiled) to get the taste of it then add it to a cake mix bake it off to see how you like it um no more than a couple fo ounces should do it to one cake. There are lots of cake/filling combos it's just a matter of trying out different ones to see what you or others enjoy. when you make a cake to try different fillings make the smallest size you can like a 6" that way if you don't like something you're not wasting a larger cake that's what i do. Need more help i'm sure that there lots of good stuff here and i've got tons of receipes that i can give you.

trixieleigh Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:02am
post #5 of 9

I am making a white cake with some Creme bouquet added to make it a little lemony, and filling it with strawberry jam. I am also going to give a cream cheese merengue buttercream a try. I love strawberries and lemon together! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:02am
post #6 of 9

Here's some info about the liqueurs that are commonly used in desserts.

Amaretto is almond-flavored. The Di Saronno brand is the most expensive, and most popular (if someone asks you for amaretto for a gift, that's the brand they want) Chambord is a raspberry liqueur. Kahlua is coffee-flavored. Baileys Irish Cream really can't be described...that one you just have to try. It's nice for adding to buttercream instead of the milk, but it's even nicer for drinking over ice, in coffee or over ice cream. Grand Marnier is orange and cognac. Cointreau is orange flavored, and not as smooth as Grand Marnier. They're all in the same aisle in the liquor store, which makes them easy to find. I've never tried Frangelica but I've heard it goes really well with chocolate flavors.

The expensive liqueurs all have cheaper copies that you can buy. It's a good way to try them. In some states you can buy the mini bottles (the airline size) but that's really a bad way to get it when you consider price per fluid ounce.

The best copy of Chambord is bol's black rasberry. There are lots of copies of Baileys, but some of them are made with wine...skip those. Kamora is a cheaper alternative for Kahlua. You can also make your own coffee liqueur if you're feeling especially motivated. As a substitute for Bailey's, Emmett's Irish Cream is not bad and Carolans is all right too. There's no substitute for Grand Marnier. Triple Sec is also orange flavored, but it's not the same.

***No, I'm not a drunk. I worked in a liquor store for a while***

trixieleigh Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:06am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

***No, I'm not a drunk. I worked in a liquor store for a while***

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ShirleyW Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:39am
post #8 of 9

Bavarian Cream filling is lighter than pudding but heavier than Mousse, if that makes sense. It is creamy and delicious, accepts just about any extract or liqueure, I happen to like Kahlua, but Rum or any orange flavor is excellent as well.

aprilcake Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 9

oh...thanks so much! This has helped tremendously and I loved the line one of you wrote above "no, im not a drunk, I use to work in a liquor store" that made me laugh! Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%