Need Advice On Sugar Cookies

Baking By daisy114 Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 4:27am by AmieB

daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:19am
post #1 of 7

Could someone please tell me if I should be using salted or unsalted butter for my cookies? I LOVE Karen's Cookie recipe and it calls for just "butter" but I've had friends convince me to use unsalted because this way you can control the amount of salt in the recipe. Well tonight I only had regular butter and I can definitely taste a difference. So I'd love to know what everyone else uses for their cookies.

6 replies
cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:25am
post #2 of 7

I always use unsalted. I can taste a difference, plus I am from the school that says unsalted butter is somewhat "fresher" because salt is a preservative, therby giving salted butter a longer shelf life.

This topic has been discussed before: expect a lot of differing opinions! icon_smile.gif

lolabunny7178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolabunny7178 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:28am
post #3 of 7

I am so glad you asked this question. It is something I have always wanted to know. I didn't know if there was a reason other than taste for using unsalted butter. I look forward to reading the replies.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:31am
post #4 of 7

I have always used unsalted butter in my cookies, but I also cut the amount of butter in half and make up the other half in crisco. They come out nice and soft! icon_smile.gif

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:38am
post #5 of 7

I use both but if I use salted butter (because it's cheaper here) than I just don't add salt to the recipe.
HTH

ResaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ResaB Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:42am
post #6 of 7

I was watching Gale Gand(a pastry chef) on Food Network one day, and she said that you should always use unsalted butter in cakes/cookies/pastries.... because that way you can control the amount of salt better, and also if you use salted butter, you will have more butter than the recipe calls for.

AmieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmieB Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:27am
post #7 of 7

I always use unsalted butter. I like having the control of how salty something tastes.

I love the idea of splitting half butter/half crisco. I'm going to try that next time I make a batch. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%