Rum Cake Recipe?

Baking By loveyoukisses Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 6:22pm by twindees

loveyoukisses Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:58am
post #1 of 6

When I was talking to my family about what kind of cake they'd like for Easter I got a specific request for a second cake that is a rum cake. I've never had, let alone made rum cake.

So does anyone have a recipe that they love, or have at least had good results with?

5 replies
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:15am
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure if you're a scratch baker or if you use cake mixes (I use both) but here is the Bacardi Rum Recipe. This is the actual recipe from the bottle and everyone who orders it loves it. I've done several wedding cakes with Rum Cake and one of the couples comes back for more so it must be good. I do not drink so I have no idea what this tastes like but apparently - it tastes like rum! lol btw - I do not toast the nuts and I've never made the glaze.

I think that a typical Rum cake just has glaze over it instead of icing but I've always baked mine in regular pans and filled them just like a wedding cake. I recommend the Stablized Whipped Cream icing with the Pineapple/Nut or Raspberry filling. That's how it's been ordered from me...Good Luck!

Bacardi Rum Cake
From Carroll Pellegrinelli,

A Tried and True Recipe
Cake:
1 cup chopped, toasted pecans or walnuts
1 18-1/2 ounce yellow cake mix
1 1-3/4 ounce (4-serving size) instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup cold milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup Barcardi dark rum

Glaze:
1 stick butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup Barcardi dark rum

Cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Sprinkle nuts on bottom of pan. Combine all cake ingredients. Beat for 2 minutes on high with electric mixer. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool in pan. Invert on serving plate. Prick top with fork. Drizzle glaze over top of cake. Use brush or spoon to put extra dripping back on cake.

Glaze: Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar.

loveyoukisses Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:41am
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much for endorsing that recipe. When I was googling earlier to find recipes, I found that one, but I hadn't seen any comments on it. Now that I know it is a good one, I'll go with it!

I tend to be a scratch baker - but sometimes you simply get better results by using doctored mixes.

Thanks for the suggestion on the filling, I'll have to ask my cousin who asked for the cake which he would prefer both pineapple/nut and raspberry sound delicious.

trixieleigh Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:17am
post #4 of 6

I'll second that recipe endorsement. That cake is TO DIE FOR! Very easy, too.

susieq76 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 6

I make this rum cake in 8" pans and fill it with the lemony whip cream (recipe is here on cc). It is to die for and reminds me of a good italian bakery in New York's Italian creme cake. We just love it in this family.

twindees Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 6

This cake sounds YUMMY. I must try it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%