How Do I Make A Fondant Baby?

Decorating By akgirl10 Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 5:03pm by akgirl10

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:16am
post #1 of 4

Is there a tutorial somewhere that someone can point me to? I just want to make a little figure to top a cake for a friend.

3 replies
RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:49am
post #2 of 4

akgirl,

Greetings!

Aine2 has 2 tutorials for the cutest sugarpaste baby toppers! You can find them here: http://www.lorraine-icingonthecake.co.uk/masterclasses/masterclass4.htm

and here: http://www.lorraine-icingonthecake.co.uk/shop.htm

Have fun with either one of these! And please post pics when you're done!

~ Scott

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:04pm
post #3 of 4

Here's how I did my baby. It was really easier than I thought it was going to be. Here's the link to it http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1193063

First roll a round ball for the head and an oval ball for the body (the sizes depend on how big you want your baby). Roll some tubular pieces for the arms and legs.

For the hands, I smashed down the ends of the arms and took a pair of scissors to cut the fingers and thumb. Then rolled them slightly to soften the cut marks.

For the feet, I bent the ends of the tubes for the legs, flattened them a little and cut the toes with scissors. I wasn't really happy with the result of the feet but it was the best I could do. I used toothpicks to attach the arms and legs to the body and also used water to "glue" them to the body also.

Take a piece of whatever color fondant you want for the hair and flatten a piece about the size of the top of the head. Cut zig zag pieces out of one side of it to create strands of hair. Glue it to the top of the head.

For the nose, I just rolled a teardrop piece of fondant and smashed two nostrils into it with the end of my paintbrush. For the mouth, I used my exacto knife and cut a slit for the mouth and kind of pried the slit open.

Painting the eyes was the hardest part since I'm not very artistic and can't paint or draw. I used the white color you use to whiten icing. Paint the entire eye the size you want in white. Let it dry. Then use black paste foold coloring and paint the pupils and eyelashes. You can copy mine or find some eyes you like somewhere else. I also used red powdered luster dust for the cheeks to have a blushing effect. I used an eye shadow brush for this. Use a toothpick and water to attach the head.

Roll out a piece of fondant for the blanket and drape it over the baby, leaving one hand out to hold the blanket. I used a toothpick and water to make the hand stay on the blanket.

I didn't worry too much about the body since I was covering the baby in a blanket. The head, feet, and hands were pretty much the only thing people were going to see. I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't, pm me and I'll do whatever I can to help. I'm making another baby this next week to go on a shower cake next weekend.

I hope I helped you out.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much for your replies! Cwcopeland, your baby is adorable, thank you for the instructions, I'm going to give a whirl today.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%