Anyone In The Pa Area....have A ?

Decorating By Mommaskip Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 3:03am by buzymom1975

Mommaskip Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:05am
post #1 of 21

im looking to get hi ratio shortening and im trying to avoid purchasing it online because of the shipping. does anyone know where i can get it in pa? i live in reading. thanks so much

20 replies
Chrisl121070 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:51am
post #2 of 21

Campbell's Cake & Candy Supplies
305 S Richland Ave, York - (717) 848-6141

That's a bit far for you to drive... it might be cheaper to have it shipped. lol

Try doing a google search for cake decorating supplies in/near Reading, there has to be something closer to you.

Mommaskip Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 21

thanks so much.....its about 45 mins but it doesnt hurt to check it out.

DebbieHouser Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 21

I love Campbell's as I live in York but their hi-ratio is ridiculously priced. Its like $6 for 1.5 lbs. I'd love to know if there is a supplier in the area.

CHuffmyer Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 21

Hey girls....sorry to jump in on this post, but I have a PA question too, I hope you don't mind? I don't sell my cakes, I just do it for fun. But more and more of my friends are asking for cakes and it's just too expensive for me not to charge them. I don't want to do it "illegally" and was checking about getting licensed, but you have to have a separate kitchen here. I don't want to do that b/c I only make a few cakes a month and don't really want to do anymore than that. So what I was wondering is if any of you have a separate kitchen in your home? I was told I need an oven, sink, and fridge. Well, I have everything but an oven in the finished basement of my home. Do any of you know if that would work if I just stuck an oven down there too? Would that be my "separate kitchen"? Thanks....and sorry again about jumping into this post and being off-topic. (I don't know about the shortening though...I have a hard time with suppliers here too).

CraftT Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 21

Mommaskip, we're neighbors! I'm in Sinking Spring.

I don't know if they have it, but you could call "Bev's Cake and Candy" in Whitehall (near Allentown).

Mommaskip Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 21

CHuffmyer....from what i understand your best bet is to call your local health dept and find out what is needed. i know someone will come out to your house to do an inspection to see if you pass or not. also i have heard you may have to take a food and safety course. if you are not selling your cakes and giving them to friends for fun you can do it in your home kitchen. i know with pa you cant have animals and i heard children in your kitchen. everything must be spotless but i would call and ask to be safe.

Mommaskip Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 21

CrafT that is awesome we should get together sometime and do cakes. i would like my own business one day but that wont be for a few years. also i found out that Lentz Milling sells products in bulk. they have 50lb sweetex and alpine hi ratio...just found this out yesterday. general mills cake flour 50lb and domino 10x powdered sugar 50lbs. this will be awesome for when i start a business. i honestly wish i had someone to go into business with. or at least a few of us ladies.

jobartwo Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 21

Mommaskip - does Lentz Milling sell to the public? I am in Limerick, PA and that would be so convenient for me. Thanks

chrissysconfections Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:18pm
post #10 of 21

I too am from PA....allbeit North from you all ...though I did live in Allentown for some time. I'm looking to get legal and this is what I've learned thus far.....

You have to check your local zoning laws and get a letter from your township saying it's ok for you to have a business there.

You have to have your water tested.

You DO NOT have to have a seperate kitchen but you DO have to have completely seperate storage for all your ingredients and so forth.

ABSOLUTELY NO PETS or children in the work areas.

Sorry I couldn't help with the supply issue...I live so far out that I HAVE to order just about everything online!

DebbieHouser Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:28pm
post #11 of 21

I just got legal in PA last Friday. It's so easy its ridiculous.

1. No pets
2. Letter from township.
3. water tested if not city/public water - i have public
4. get inspected

call the dept. of agriculture.
The inspection was great. I cleaned everything and the guy hardly looked at anything. He just told me exactly what i needed to do and how to sanitize things properly.

Only costs $35. Pretty cheap to get legal. I also got insured and I got a great deal through State Farm. ($230 per year).

CHuffmyer Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:37pm
post #12 of 21

Debbie--what county are you in, if you don't mind my asking? I just spoke with a lady this morning from the Health Dept. and she didn't seem to mind that I had a dog as long as he wasn't on the same floor as my kitchen. And that's no big deal because he's a big chicken and won't go up OR down steps, so he's pretty restricted. icon_smile.gif But she DID say I had to have a separate kitchen. I wonder if it's different by county? Just curious. If it's as easy as you say and costs $35, what the heck am I waiting for? I might as well do it even if I decide that I DON'T want to sell my cakes!

DebbieHouser Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:42pm
post #13 of 21

I'm in York county. The state law is that you cannot have pets and you can use your own kitchen. There can be more restrictive rules by area I guess but that wasn't the case for me.

I think because you have pets is why she said you had to have a separate kitchen.

Chrisl121070 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:43pm
post #14 of 21

Debbie, I am in York as well. icon_smile.gif

Were those the only rules?

DebbieHouser Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:22am
post #15 of 21

Check out this document on the dept of agriculture site.

I really couldn't believe how easy it was. I called to just get some information and within 2 weeks I was licensed and legal. I got a letter from my township saying it was ok to operate a home business. I called the inspector and he set up a time to come out. I was lucky because I had city water so I didn't have to get tested.

And it really wasn't an inspection. He just showed me sanitization procedures. Hope this helps.

I'm in Windsor Twp, York address. The guy in this region is named Jerry and super nice.

Mommaskip Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:52pm
post #16 of 21

does anyone live in berks county. im right in the city of reading and i would love to hear if anyone has gotten licensed in my area yet. JOBARTwO yes lentz milling does sell to the public. when i called they ask if you have an account and i said no and if i would be paying with cash. depending on the products you want you have to call ahead of time to see if they have it and they will get it ready for you to pick up. its that easy.

cakedout Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:28pm
post #17 of 21

Hey Ladies! You guys are in my neighborhood! I'm from Ephrata!

Another source might be Dutch Valley Foods in Myerstown. I used to buy ALpine from them at a pretty good price. Course that's been a few years....

I used my home kitchen for 8 years and had a separate kitchen for 10 years...only got inspected 2x and the guy barely even looked at anything! I had more trouble with the borough than I did the health department!

We've moved 3 years ago- major downsizing-so I'm back to "hobby" status.


Chrisl121070 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:05pm
post #18 of 21

Debbie, thanks for that link!

Jackie, I work in Ephrata! LOL

cakedout Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:25pm
post #19 of 21

Oh that's funny! Do you work at the Hospital?

Hey- if you ever need to borrow any pans, have questions, or whatever...I would be happy to help you out! I have 2 other "cake friends" in Ephrata that are always ready to help out another decorator as well.

It's always nice to know other decorators in the area. thumbs_up.gif

Chrisl121070 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 10:55pm
post #20 of 21

I do! LOL

Thanks so much! We should exchange email addys. icon_smile.gif

buzymom1975 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:03am
post #21 of 21

I live in Union County. Is anyone else near here? I am looking into opening my own business, but can't do it from home due to 3 dogs and a Looking for ideas as to maybe renting a kitchen, but not sure what I need, or where to even begin. I know it's kind of off topic, but any advice is gladly appreciated. Thanks all

Quote by @%username% on %date%