How Do You Prevent

Decorating By terri76 Updated 23 Mar 2008 , 3:11am by terri76

terri76 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 10

clumps of cake mix in your batter? Every time I mix up a cake, I still have clumps of mix (powder) in the bottom of my bowl. I mix at low until it's all combined then on medium for about 2 minutes. When it's all combined, I turn my mixer off and run my spatula around the bottom and sides of my bowl then go to medium speed.

Does it sound like I need to sift my mixes or get a new mixer (please say, "yes you need a brand new KA") icon_wink.gif I've been wanting one for a while now, my hubby bought a GE for me a few years ago because I wanted a KA and he didn't want to pay that much for "just a mixer" so he bought a GE that looks like one. (I just love him bless his heart even though he is cheap)

Has anyone else had this happen (the clumps,not the cheap hubby) and what do I need to do to make the clumps go away?

Thanks a bunch!!!

~~terri~~

9 replies
kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 10

If you are using a KA then it needs adjusting. The beater is not reaching bottom of the bowl. Sorry, I don't know how it's done but it can be adjusted.
But just in case here's a message to DH:
YES it's time for a new mixer! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

2sdae Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 10

Try sifting your dry ingredients first and then see what happens...

foxymomma521 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 10

Never had the clumps. thumbsdown.gif

Tell DH a KA is a kitchen staple, and without one your kitchen just is not complete. icon_twisted.gif

What brand of mix are you using?

BrandisBaked Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 10

Put the wet ingredients in your mixing bowl first...

indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 10

I totally agree with sifting the cake mix. I never did that until I came to CC. To be honest, when I first read the suggestion, my thought was "some people have too much time on their hands!" I just let the KA run and my batter was nice and smooth!

Or so I thought! icon_eek.gif

I decided to give it a try one day and OH MY GOD how did I ever make a cake without sifting?? Less beating time and 1000% smoother batter, a beautiful textured cake! Unbelievable difference!

And I always put my wet ingredients in first just out of habit.

Tona Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:10am
post #7 of 10

I also sift my cake mix before I add it. But I agree with you time to tell your DH you really need a KA. Can not live without it.

terri76 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:00am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the help y'all! I started putting my liquids in first several months ago and that did help a good bit but I still get alot of clumps. I tried sifting my dry ingredients tonight but...my frazlin' sifter broke. So...I'll let my dear husband know that ontop of him buying a new mixer he also needs to add a little money and get a new sifter. icon_lol.gif

Atleast I know y'all have my back on this one. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks so much!!

Love ya

~~terri~~
"your life can become whatever you imagine, just make the choices that will take you there."

4starcakes Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:30am
post #9 of 10

I've killed a lot of sifters. I use a mesh strainer and a whisk and Voila! sifted! Much easier and faster.

terri76 Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 3:11am
post #10 of 10

The mystery has been solved!!!!!

It's my mixer!!!!! (now time for a KA) I was going to make a 3d bunny cake for my girls for Easter and instead of getting out my big stuff, I just grabbed my had mixer since it was just going to be one cake mix and one batch of BC. Well...my hand held (Durabrand from Wal Mart I use it mainly for my mashed potatoes icon_wink.gif ) It out did my big mixer. NO CLUMPS!!!!!!! Can you believe it?!

~~terri~~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%