I Ran Out Of Oil, What Can I Do?

Decorating By Danishwiz Updated 22 Mar 2008 , 2:08pm by msthang1224

Danishwiz Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 8

I am in the middle of making cakes (box mixes icon_redface.gif), and I ran out of oil. Can I melt down butter or crisco and use that instead of veg. oil?

Thanks!

7 replies
kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 8

Just leave it out! I never add oil to my cakes and they are still nice and moisticon_smile.gif
Another alternative is to replace the amount of oil with applesauce OR purne puree OR most any fruit puree.

indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 8

Being the only kid in america that grew up poor.... (it'a joke I started a few threads ago since I seem to be the only person who grew up with a mom who used margarine and box mixes! icon_lol.gif ), we never bought oil, only shortening, and when a recipe called for oil, we just melted shortening and used that. Did it for years.....stuff turned out fine.

Danishwiz Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 8

GREAT! Thank you so much!

Malakin Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:12am
post #5 of 8

I am always running out of stuff so I melt the Crisco on a slow defrost in microwave, wait till it cools so that when it hits the liquid in the cake mix it doesn't re-solidify, and then I add it. I tried adding too soon and it became solid when it hit the cold water or milk.

reneemiracle Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:14am
post #6 of 8

You can substitute oil with applesauce, same amount. It makes your cakes very moist.

oliveoyle Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 8

I rarly use oil in my box mixes, 9 times out of 10 I use a melted stick of blue bonnet margerine yes the whole stick, I don't really like the texture I get when I use real butter ,but I like the flavor .

just my opinion hope it helps

msthang1224 Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 8

I'm just like Malakin, always running out of stuff at the last minute, lol. It just happened to me not to long ago and I was standing in front of the crieco, had the thought and then said, "Nahhh", lol. But will try next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%