What Do You Do To Stay Fit?

Lounge By MariaLovesCakes Updated 21 May 2008 , 6:19pm by Kayakado

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 58

I like to stay and especially lift weights!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I have done step aerobics with Cathe Friedrich, who I LOVE! With step aerobics I loose a lot of weight leftover from my last pregnancy.

Then, I hit a plateau and decided to try something different to shake things up. So, I started doing a program called P90X which is more for lifting heavier weights and gain muscle mass!! I LOVE IT. I still do my step aerobics but its mainly little cardio and more weights.

I became a coach there and am helping others stay fit as well! icon_smile.gif

How about you guys, what do you do to stay fit?

57 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 58

ok, first, fat women of 50 do not usually describe themselves as "fit".

second, as I tell my 15-year old, who encourages me to join a gym because she really thinks I'd have 'fun' there .... since I spend quite a bit of time lifting 50 lb bags of sugar and flour, loading and unloading cases of canned goods in and out of the van, since I carry boxes of glass plates in and out of reception venues, I lift my "food safe" that is loaded with 60 lbs of cooked chicken plus veggies, rice, etc .... with all of that weight lifting going on, why would I need to join a gym or work out? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

If I have any spare time to crash, I'm not spending it on a treadmill! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

MariaLovesCakes Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 58

Alrighty, then, Miss Indy!! I guess you are covered!!! icon_biggrin.gif

mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:32am
post #4 of 58

I love love love Cathe Friedrich! I use one of her DVD's everyday! I've been working out with her DVD's since July 2007 and have lost 50 pounds to date. She is so full of energy and the choreography really keeps me challenged on the step routines. The new STS looks very challenging!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:42am
post #5 of 58

I love Cathe too! Most of my home workout consists of rearranging the furniture to fit my step in the living room. icon_smile.gif

I do weights and resistance at the gym and cardio at home with Cathe.

I also try to eat smart. Lots of low-fat protein, veggies, whole grains. No cake. icon_smile.gif

MariaLovesCakes Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:44am
post #6 of 58

Hey, two Cathe fans just like me!!!

She is GREAT!!!

I have Cardio Fusion, Upper/Lower Pyramid and just recently got Gym Styles.

LOVE IT!!!

I am doing a heavy weight routine now called P90X, but I throw Cathe's workouts whenever I can. I CANNOT stay away from her workouts. Not that I want too!! icon_biggrin.gif

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:19am
post #7 of 58

I go to the gym five days a week and do weights. I run approx 10 miles a week. I play tennis wkly. I run after my four kids. I kickbox 3x a wk. I eat very healthy and do not eat junk food or anything with sugar. Sounds severe and boring, but I'm in the best shape of my life, feel good, and for the first time, I feel I look good, as well.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:31am
post #8 of 58

I run 30+ miles per week, and take spinning classes 2 times per week to cross train. Usually on my spinning days I'll run 3-4 miles before class, then spin, then lift weights for my upper body.

It's not easy to keep up this pace with 2 little ones, but I really do believe that my mental health depends on working out! If I don't do it regularly, I get super-gloomy, moody, and depressed.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 58

where can you buy these cathe videos at? I would like to start using a video to work out with , someone before recommended walk away the pounds video ..

MariaLovesCakes Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:25pm
post #10 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

where can you buy these cathe videos at? I would like to start using a video to work out with , someone before recommended walk away the pounds video ..

I will send you some info. icon_wink.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:36pm
post #11 of 58

This is a good source for exercise videos. You can actually play a preview before ordering, so you can know in advance if the choreography is too complicated or the timing too slow, etc..

http://www.collagevideo.com/

TheCakerator Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:03pm
post #12 of 58

I just bought the step workout at wal mart and it came with a cath e video in it. I watched it tonight, no exercising yet, and it wore me out just watching!! It said it was for beginners, which is what I am, I just can't imagine being able to keep up with this lady!!

MariaLovesCakes Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:23pm
post #13 of 58

Oh, don't worry, you will!! It may take you a couple of days, but its fun!!

TheCakerator Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 1:48pm
post #14 of 58

ok .. well I won't start it till monday as I do not exercise when anyone else is at home! But I am looking forward to it.

mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:03pm
post #15 of 58

Cakerator,

Once you get the basics down, you will have no problem following Cathe. I find her workouts very challenging at times but that is what I love about her. My current favorite is Low Max. How many workouts are on your DVD? I have the basic step DVD and it also has Body Fusion and Low Impact. If you go to her website, you can find a beginner rotation that uses those workouts. Have fun!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:05pm
post #16 of 58

I just got the P90X and have only done it once yet. I loved it! Can't wait to do it again. I just started training again after going almost 3 years off.
I use to be an aerobics instructor and personal trainer back in the day but that was so long ago that in 6 weeks I start paying to get personally trained. icon_lol.gif I don't run anymore because my knees and hips are almost shot. I use to run 50-85 hours a week. I think I'd die of a heart attack if I had to run a mile now. icon_lol.gif More power to you runners--you all impress me!
My butt just needs motivation and boy am I lacking in it! I've lost soooo much muscle that I'm starting from square one which is really hard from me since I was always in top physical shape. (A little too ripped if you asked my DH. I use to be able to flex my back and have notches in my muscles without even flexing) Now I'm a pile of mush and I'm almost 30. I'm 5'2" and 110 pounds, I'm so depressed by the way I look, so I decided to take the bull by the horns and start all over again. Lord help me!

MariaLovesCakes Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:35pm
post #17 of 58

Hey, I am also doing P90X and love it!!!

Do you go to the forums and talk to people over there? I am a coach over there too, If you want to look me up! icon_wink.gif We have a great thread to keep you motivated. Also, there is another area called WOWY and you can log in your workouts daily and see other people that work out with you at the time of the day you choose.

Let me know and I can send you some links! icon_wink.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 22 Mar 2008 , 2:44pm
post #18 of 58

Right now I am in a Wellness class in college. Our teacher says the main thing that helps you loose weight is working out for a longer period of time and you need to make sure that you are getting to your Maximum Heart Rate for over 30min's and up to an hour to loose weight. Cardio is going to be the best things for that. Because you start actually burning fat AFTER that 30 min. marker. So, the longer you work out the more you will loose weight!

I know I have been working out for the last 8 weeks and just NOW I am starting to loose weight. I know it takes time and that wasn't my goal in the first place. I started doing running THIS week compared to the bicycle for the previous weeks and I think that helped. I started feeling a LOT smaller when I got back onto the weight machines this week! icon_lol.gif

Good luck in getting fit! thumbs_up.gif

sicookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sicookie Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 3:38am
post #19 of 58

mklomar--I'd kill to be your weight!! I know it's not about numbers, but for alll the running i do You'd think I would look like a supermodel!! Anybody doing More 1/2 marathon in NY next month?

mkolmar Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:31am
post #20 of 58

Trish--I watch marathons, I don't participate in them icon_lol.gif

michellenj Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:53am
post #21 of 58

You ran 50-85 hours per week? How many miles did that amount to? I am blown away.

michellenj Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 12:54am
post #22 of 58

You ran 50-85 hours per week? How many miles did that amount to? I am blown away.

sicookie Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:43am
post #23 of 58

I'd like to know who ran 50-85 hours per week--that's more than a full-time job. Even if it's 50-85 miles, that's a lot of miles--at least 10/day. I can do that once or twice a week, but who has the time to do that every day. I loke my sleep a little too much icon_lol.gif

mkolmar Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:08am
post #24 of 58

That was me who ran the 50-85 miles a week.(I was tired when I posted and wrote hours, oops --sorry) I use to wake up at 5am or earlier to go running. My short days I would run 4-8 miles. My long days I would run usually around 16. Some days 18. I was a fitness trainer at the time and waitress. I went to school full time and worked a few days a week. I wasn't married (BF was serving overseas) and no kids, still living at home. I was training for a marathon at this time but decided to drop out of it. I joined the Marines instead. I was able to run a mile in 6 minutes and 11 seconds without a pack at this time once I hit full stride. All that running paid off for me once in boot camp icon_lol.gif Mind you this is when I was 19 at the time and at my peak body wise. I'm now almost 30 with 4 kids and in culinary arts school full time M-F. I work a few hours a week at the Ymca and doing my own small business. I'm exhausted! If it came down to waking up at 5am to go running or sleeping in...sleeping in would win everytime right now! icon_wink.gif

sicookie Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:18am
post #25 of 58

YOU ROCK! You get more done in a day than I could possibly get done in a week!! 6:11 That's an amazing time. You should be proud.

mkolmar Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 3:36am
post #26 of 58

Trish--Yeah, my time back then was good. I have not ran in so long I'd hate to see what it is now.

Marielovescakes -- Send me those links please icon_biggrin.gif

Step0nmi--Good job on the results, keep at it.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:13pm
post #27 of 58

I used to workout like a psycho, lifting weights, running, spinning, etc... but it was taking up too much of my time and that last 10 lbs still would not budge. Over a year ago I found a nutritional cleansing program I stuck with that is so healthy and gives me great energy (and I lost that last 10). Now I spend alot more time being social after work and only hitting the gym 2 - 3 times a week. Of course, I can't live without my morning GAIAM stretch/yoga videos and weekend hikes!

sicookie Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 8:57pm
post #28 of 58

does nutritional cleansing mean no easter candy? icon_lol.gif Because that's the reason I bagged the 12 mile run today and decided to just do a quickie at the gym.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:02pm
post #29 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by trish128

does nutritional cleansing mean no easter candy? icon_lol.gif Because that's the reason I bagged the 12 mile run today and decided to just do a quickie at the gym.

icon_rolleyes.gif Unfortunately, yes, but who says you can't modify any program! Come to think of it, I picked at a few of those chocolate eggs yesterday icon_wink.gif

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 12:57am
post #30 of 58

wow I wish I had the motiviation that ya'll have!

I for awhile was doing the (don't laugh) Carmen Electric Aerobic striptease. I did the 2nd dvd everyday for a couple of months and lost 10lbs and started to actually see abs for the first time in my whole life! I only did the dance dvd every now and then and would give ummmm special treats for my dh! LOL... I'm SO lazy I haven't done anything since like November! BAD I know I really need to get my butt back in gear I was liking how my body was improving but w/ a 3 and a 4 year old my energy levels are just not there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%