Pineapples, Pecans And Bananas....

Baking By JawdroppingCakes Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 3:37pm by JawdroppingCakes

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to make a vanilla cake with buttercream frosting. The problem is that they asked for this type of filling that they say is like pudding with bananas, pineapple and pecans. I have never heard of this or much less tried it. Have any of who cc'ers heard or know how to make this type of filling? And if so would this taste good with fondant and buttercream and would it need to be refrigerate?

7 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 8

I've only ever heard of a cake with all those things in it - Hummingbird cake! Sounds kinda weird for a filling, but if it's pudding based, then yes, it's going to need refrigeration.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 8

I have a customer who wants almost the same thing. she wants pudding w/strawberry and bananas. i haven't the slightest where to began. She will be calling me w/further details

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:21am
post #4 of 8

It does sound like an inside out hummingbird cake - fruits and nuts are usually baked in the batter not made into a filling.....

In case anyone wants a hummingbird recipe now that we've been talking about it. icon_lol.gif (I know my mouth's watering.)

Southern Living Hummingbird scratch cake recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/50538

Almost CMD hummingbird doctored mix cake recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/41859

This dessert recipe sounds like it might work for you....just add some nuts when custard is cooling.

Banana Pineapple Delight:
(Omit crust and cool whip topping.)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Pineapple-Delight/Detail.aspx

Would recommend a dam of fairly firm buttercream icing to keep the filling in place. (Don't want it to ooze and melt your fondant.)

HTH

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:35am
post #5 of 8

Be careful with the pineapple, sometimes it has a tendency to change the texture of your pudding a bit. I'd love here how it comes out.

JawdroppingCakes Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you all so much for your help. I was able to speak to the customer alst night and he told me it was a filling that they once had in a better than sex cake. Now I just have to find it. Thanks again!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 8

paula deen has that cake on her site i have made it but the filling was placed on top of the cake in the pan you bake the cake in a rectangular pan then cook the pineapple with sugar on top of the stove for about 5-7 minutes let cool a little then make your pudding with vanilla instant pudding let it set up in frig then she has you to toast the coconut and all this goes on in layers on top of the cake punch holes in cake pour pineapple over then layer it with puddingmix then beat up fresh whip cream lay that over then top with coconut no nuts in this one in less you put it in cake batter but you could use this mixture for the filling let pineapple mixture get really cool you could add a little cornstartch tothe pineapple mixture then let the pudding get really firm whip the cream to stiff consistency fold that in your pudding and pineapple mixture i usually toast my p-can for cakes and fillings that would be so good this is just my opinion use the fine coconut hope this helps

JawdroppingCakes Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks icer.....that sounds perfect. I will be trying that one out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%